Thursday, July 04, 2013

Chicago Trip

I was just in Chicago for the American Library Association conference. Although I went to meetings and exhibits all day, that doesn't mean I didn't have time to see the city. So, here are the pictures from the personal part of the trip.It was a terrific trip with colleagues.

We arrived in Chicago early enough the day before the conference that we had time to walk to the Navy Pier. Did you know there's a stained glass window museum there? According to Wikipedia, "The Smith Museum of Stained Glass Windows is a permanent exhibition which opened in February 2000 at Chicago’s Navy Pier entertainment complex. It is the first American museum dedicated solely to the art of stained glass windows." The windows were beautiful, especially the Tiffany glass windows. There's a wonderful view of the city from the pier.












We went to see Cirque Shanghai while we were there, reminiscent of Chinese acrobat shows I've seen.






As I said, it was a good conference. I had the chance to catch up with librarian friends from Glendale and Lee County, and other friends from the publishing and mystery field. Caught up with Hank Phillippi Ryan at the Sisters in Crime booth and Libby Fischer Hellmann just after a panel.


Hank Phillippi Ryan


Libby Fischer Hellmann

And, then there were the authors at the AAP Breakfast, starting with a young debut author, Pierce Brown, whose book, Red Rising, comes out in February. We shared a table at breakfast.


With Pierce Brown


The other authors speaking were Jennifer Chiaverini, Kathleen Kent, Mary Kay Andrews, Mary Alice Monroe, and Stephanie Evanovich. 


Jennifer Chiaverini

Kathleen Kent

Mary Kay Andrews

Stephanie Evanovich
And, it was a wonderful surprise when Talia Sherer from Macmillan introduced Mary Kay Andrws, and then quoted from my review of her new book, Ladies' Night, by saying, "As our own Lesa Holstine from Evansville said ..."

Then, one night I went to a ticketed event with comedians who all wrote books, including Ross Mathews from The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. And, my favorite, Paula Poundstone.

Ross Mathews

With Paula Poundstone
Then, we had some time to see the city again at the end of the conference. Two of us went to the Lincoln Park Zoo, particularly to see the big cats. But, it was a little cat that won our hearts, a Sandcat.











The adorable Sandcat
Sichuan Takins



Snow Leopard

From the zoo, we went to dinner at Pizzeria Due. Had to have Chicago deep dish pizza while we were in town. After dinner, a couple of us walked to the John Hancock Building to view the city from the 94th floor.







Our last morning before heading home on Amtrak, we all went our separate ways. I headed to the Art Institute of Chicago. Before going in, though, I saw a couple funny sites. One is a planter. Looks like a giant chia pet, doesn't it? There were other ones lining the sidewalk. Kind of funny, isn't it? And, then there are the lions in front of the museum. The lions are wearing Blackhawk helmets after the team's Stanley Cup win. I'm not a hockey fan, but I loved the lions.




I stood in line for a half an hour to get into the museum. A wonderful new exhibit started on June 26 - Impressionism, Fashion and Modernity. Beautiful exhibit including artwork by Monet, Manet, Seurat, Cassatt, and others. I also loved the miniatures exhibit, 64 small historic rooms.




Great trip to Chicago. The conference sessions were good. I met some librarians I've admired and wanted to meet; met authors. Naturally, I came home with more books. Good time in the city when we weren't attending the conference. And, a good trip home by Amtrak.

12 comments:

SandyG265 said...

I've never been to Chicago. My parents lived there for a couple of years before I was born. My Mom says that once it snowed they couldn't get the car out of the garage for the rest of the winter. They moved back to NY.

Linda said...

My goodness! You really packed a lot into that trip!

scottsgal said...

you captured some great shots of our beautiful city. Chicago has so many awesome things to see and do and eat. The week the Blackhawks won the Cup, buildings were lit up and most of the buildings and stores decorated with jerseys and a sea of red. There were 2 million people that went downtown for the parade. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Lesa said...

Had a terrific time, everyone. Really enjoyed your city, Scottsgal. And, I packed all that in while going to a conference from 7 to 4 every day. And, the comedians were a 7 am to 7:30 pm day. Good trip all the way around. Good conference, too.

Karen C said...

So glad you were able to see so mujch of the city while attending those meetings!!

Naomi Avendano said...

I'm a native Chicagoan but at the moment I'm living in Mexico City. Your photos make me homesick and proud at the same time. You have a great blog! Congratulations!

Lesa said...

Karen and Naomi,

I'm glad I was able to see so much as well. Thank you, Naomi, for the compliment!

Melissa @ My Recent Favorite Books said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time!
Great photos!

Lesa said...

Thanks, Melissa. Good conference, and good play time when I wasn't at the conference.

Becky K. said...

I'm glad you made it to the top of the Hancock Building. It's so beautiful up there! :)

I showed a group of visitors from Eastern Europe around Chicago once, and I took them there. They were amazed - laws in their country prevent buildings from being built taller than 6 stories high.

Janet Rudolph said...

What a wonderful report and great photos. Glad you had such a good time.

Lesa said...

Thanks to a co-worker, Becky, who suggested we go to the top of the Hancock Building. Good idea. I'm glad we went, too.

Thank you, Janet! Had a good conference, and a good time as well.