Monday, June 10, 2013

I Never Promised You a Goodie Bag by Jennifer Gilbert

Jennifer Gilbert's memoir, I Never Promised You a Goodie Bag, is a tragedy and a triumph, the story of a
woman who could have given up on life, but found a way to forge on until she found a way to overcome her past and her own feelings. The subtitle, "A Memoir of a Life Through Events - the Ones You Plan and the Ones You Don't," truly sums up her life and her career.

When she was twenty-two, Gilbert, a confident young woman looking forward to her future, was struck down in a friend's apartment in Manhattan. After recovering physically from the attack, Gilbert tried frantically to put her past behind her. For three years, she ran frantically on a treadmill, building her own events company, Save the Date. She admits, "I was a gregarious lonely person, a party planner celebrating other people's amazing life experience, and I was running as fast as I could away from my own problems, acting for all the world as if I didn't have any."

But, for three years there was a bomb ticking in Gilbert's life. She "had been in post traumatic stress and denial for three years." Finally, she fell apart when forced to face her past. But, after finally facing it, she still continued to run her life as if nothing had happened, refusing to let other people know she was vulnerable.

Jennifer Gilbert's memoir is a story of tragedy, courage, and life. It's the story of a woman who found love when she never thought she would, and with a person she never thought would be right for her. It's an inspirational story of a woman building a successful business, and then finding her way back to life and joy. I Never Promised You a Goodie Bag is a story of a journey from what could have been death to a successful, happy life.

Jennifer Gilbert's website is www.savethedate.com

I Never Promised You a Goodie Bag: A Memoir of a Life Through Events - the ONes You Plan and the Ones You Don't by Jennifer Gilbert. HarperCollins. 2012. ISBN 9780062076007 (paperback), 213p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - I picked the book up at BEA.

4 comments:

Karen C said...

Sounds interesting; will have to add to the wish list.

Lesa said...

That's quite a wish list, isn't it, Karen?

Karen C said...

Not sure I've got enough time left to read all that's on my wish list!

Lesa said...

Oh, me neither, Karen!