Friday, February 22, 2013

Rebecca Cantrell's Note

I met Rebecca Cantrell as the author of the award-winning Hannah Vogel series. Hannah Vogel is a reporter in 1930s Berlin, Germany. The first in the historical thriller series, A Trace of Smoke, won the Bruce Alexander and Macavity Awards for Best Historical mystery. Now, the fourth one, A City of Broken Glass, is up for the Bruce Alexander Award again, as well as the Mary Higgins Clark Award. But, Rebecca has also collaborated with James Rollins on The Order of the Sanguines series. The first book, The Blood Gospel, was released in January. And, this multi-talented author writes young adult horror stories under the name Bekka Black.

A City of Broken Glass was a powerful novel. I reviewed it last July. And, if you ever have the chance to hear Rebecca speak, you'll be impressed with her vast knowledge of Nazi Germany, the setting for her series.

However, if you ever have the chance to go to eat with her, prepare to die laughing. I've been to dinner with her in Tucson following the Tucson Festival of Books, laughed with her at Left Coast Crime, and I love her sense of humor. But, I don't know if I ever laughed so much as the night we went for ice cream at the Sugar Bowl in Scottsdale. Rebecca and I agreed we'd have to meet there and try all the ice cream on the menu. Then, she moved to Germany, and I moved to Indiana. Someday, we'll get together again for ice cream.

So, there's a little background so you'll understand the note from this versatile author. Thank you, Becky.

From Rebecca Cantrell/Bekka Black

"Lesa,

Have fun on your new adventure! I know that you will bring your love of books and mysteries to all of those new and lucky library patrons. You will be missed in Tucson, but this does open up many interesting conference ice cream quests for us in the future...

See you around in the mystery world!

Becky (aka Rebecca Cantrell and Bekka Black)"

Rebecca Cantrell's website is www.rebeccacantrell.com





6 comments:

Rebecca Cantrell said...

I'm so glad that you liked the note! And thank you for the wonderful reply here!

We'll have to find some good ice cream at the next conference. If you're ever in Berlin, there are several places we can go--ice cream in big fancy glasses (some even with champagne!).

From FB it sounds like you are settling in well and helping them with your dynamo energy!

Lesa said...

Well, that's an interesting comment - if I'm ever in Berlin. Hadn't thought of ice cream there, Rebecca!

Joe Barone said...

You have so many friends. Isn't it wonderful?

Lesa said...

It is wonderful, Joe. I've enjoyed meeting and spending time with all of them.

Karen C said...

I love hearing about your notes from everyone! I just don't have enough time to read all these wonderful books.

Lesa said...

I don't either, Karen, which is why I've been including some of the notes.