Tuesday, February 12, 2013

New Arrivals

Where to start with the books that arrived last week? I have books in this pile from some of the authors that are on my "favorite author" list. Thank you to the authors and a few publishers who sent these books. I can't wait to read and discuss them!

The Sound of Broken Glass is the latest from Deborah Crombie. Fifteen years before the start of the book, a thirteen-year-old boy in Crystal Palace meets his neighbor, a widowed teacher. Their friendship is shattered by an act of betrayal. In the present time, Detective Inspector Gemma James' first case after a leave of absence is a crime scene at a seedy hotel in Crystal Palace. The victim is a young barrister who undoubtedly had a companion. The search leads the team to question their own world and the people they trust.

Hillerman prize winner Tricia Fields takes readers back to the bordertown of Artemis, Texas in Scratchgravel Road. When Josie Grey, police chief of Artemis, finds Cassidy Harper nearly dead of heatstroke beside the body of a Mexican immigrant, the woman can't explain why she's there, or how she came upon the corpse. When Josie examines the man's wounds, she knows she needs to find answers fast, before her own life is in danger.

I have two juvenile novels from Chris Grabenstein. Last year, he joined forces with James Patterson to write I Funny, a middle school story of a boy determined to win the Planet's Funniest Kid Comic Contest. That should be a fun book. But, I'm really looking forward to Excape From Mr. Lemoncello's Library, Chris' book that comes out June 25. Kyle Kelly is thrilled to learn the world's most famous game-maker has designed the town's new library, and there's an invitation-only lock-in the first night. Kyle might get in, but it's not so easy to get out of the library in this puzzler.



First, I have to reveal that Beth Hoffman is a friend, although I didn't know her when I fell in love with her debut novel, Saving CeeCee Honeycutt. And, I love the cover of her forthcoming book, Looking for Me. This novel of "Family, hope, loss, and antiques" takes Teddi Overman home. Teddi's life's passion is furniture, discovered when she found a broken-down chair on the side of the road in rural Kentucky. She grew up to open her own shop in Charleston after learning to turn castoffs into beautifully restored antiques. But, the mystery of her brother Josh's disappearance has always haunted her. And, when signs indicate Josh might still be alive, Teddi is drawn home to find him.


Sophie Littlefield went to college in Indiana. That's not why I suggested her as the guest speaker for Maricopa County's Back to the Beach program this year. Her forthcoming book, Garden of Stones, has a fascinating premise. It's the story of a fourteen-year-old girl, Lucy Takeda, who is ripped from her Los Angeles home, and sent to the Manzanar prison cmap, along with her mother, and thousands of other innocent Japanese-Americans in the days following the bombing of Pearl Harbor. The living conditions are harsh, but it's the abuse and corruption that finally break Lucy's mother, who sacrifices everything to save her daughter. It's an act that stays with her daughter, and haunts her life.

Crossbones Yard is a debut psychological thriller by Kate Rhodes. Psychologist Alice Quentin is well-respected, has a good-looking boyfriend, and her hands full with her job, her personal life, and trying to keep her brother out of trouble. But, she agrees to help the police build a psychological profile of a killer whose methods resemble that of a duo who were sent to jail for torturing and killing thirteen women. Then her research indicates that the killer might be closer than she ever imagined.

I'm certainly lucky to have this collection of books arrive in my mailbox this past week!


7 comments:

Harvee Lau said...

The Sound of Broken Glass is a book I hope to find! I enjoy her mysteries. The others also look like tempting books. Enjoy!

Lesa said...

Thank you, Harvee! I will. I hope you find The Sound of Broken Glass, too.

CindyD said...

I want to read all of these except the Grabenstein ones!
My TBR list is so long!

Jane R said...

Deborah Crombie is one of my favorite authors. I've got The Sound of Broken Glass on reserve at the library and I should be able to get my hands on it as soon as it's available. That's one title I'm definitely looking forward to!

Beth Hoffman said...

I'm delighted to see my novel on this list, Lesa!

Dru said...

I didn't know that Beth has a new book coming out. Definitely add it to my list.

Lesa said...

Oh, yes. Terrific list. Beth's book is my weekend reading this coming weekend.