Thursday, February 07, 2013

Juliet Blackwell's Note

I attended Left Coast Crime in Santa Fe, and loved it. I really hate that I'm going to miss it this year in Colorado Springs. On the other hand, I won't have to decide who I want to vote for in the awards.

Juliet Blackwell is one of the nominees for the Watson Award for the mystery novel with the best sidekick. I reviewed her book, In a Witch's Wardrobe, when it came out last year. Oscar is the sidekick for Lily Ivory, the witch in the series. I just love Oscar. In my review, I described Oscar as the source of humor in the series. Oscar, Lily's familiar, is the gargoyle who appears as a pot-bellied pig. Oscar keeps secrets, can be jealous and petty. At the same time, he's always hungry, loves movies that are scary or filled with action, and throws himself into the middle of a fight to save Lily.  This series wouldn't be half as much fun without Oscar.

I've known Juliet for quite a while now. She appeared often at Velma Teague for the Authors @ The Teague programs. Thank you, Juliet, for everything.

Here's Juliet's note, as she wrote in my gift book.

"Dear Lesa,

When I first came on the mystery scene, all nervous bumblings and clumsy efforts at self-promotion, you happened upon my first novel, Feint of Art, and gave it a lovely review. You even likened it to Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum novels - though you claimed to find my heroine "smarter and more interesting". You can't know what those words meant to me - especially when I found out they came from a librarian! (I'll admit: I have something of an obsession with libraries and librarians.) Since then you have hosted me many times, and our paths cross at mystery conferences and events. Your smile always lights up the room and your passion for books - and especially the mystery genre - adds immeasurably to each and every gathering. I will always be grateful for the chance to have met you!

Evansville has NO idea yet how lucky it is!! Knock 'em dead, Lesa!

--Juliet Blackwell"

Juliet Blackwell's website is www.julietblackwell.net.

In a Witch's Wardrobe by Juliet Blackwell. Obsidian. 2012. ISBN 9780451237477 (paperback), 322p.

9 comments:

Dru said...

Isn't she the best? Love the words.

Juliet Blackwell said...

Oh Lesa, you made my day! Glad we have such a mutual love-fest going :-) I think of you SO often and hope you are loving your new post!

Joe Barone said...

If this lady's note had a "like" (as on Facebook), I would have "liked" it.

Lesa said...

Dru, She is the best. Love her, and her books!

Lesa said...

Juliet - Not love yet, but I'll get there. It takes a little time to settle in. Extreme like, though, and I really like the people I work with.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Joe!

Devon Ellington said...

I'm a big fan of all Juliet's books, but especially the Lily Ivory series. So glad you gave her such a wonderful shout out!

Karen C said...

Lovely note. You are so lucky, Lesa.

Lesa said...

It's Juliet who actually gave me the shout out, and I am very, very lucky. Thank you.