Thursday, January 24, 2013

Sophie Littlefield's Note

This week, I helped to bring two of my favorite things together, an author and a program. Sophie Littlefield is going to be the guest speaker for Maricopa County's "Back to the Beach" program. Sophie started out with a bang. Her first mystery, A Bad Day for Sorry, won the Anthony Award for Best First Novel, and was nominated for three other awards. She's gone on to write urban fantasy and YA novels as well. I recommended her for "Back to the Beach" for all those reasons, but particularly because she'll have a new book out. Once again, Sophie is branching out with her novel, Garden of Stones. Here's the overview of the book, as seen on Barnes & Noble's website.

Overview 

In the dark days of war, a mother makes the ultimate sacrifice

Lucy Takeda is just fourteen years old, living in Los Angeles, when the bombs rain down on Pearl Harbor. Within weeks, she and her mother, Miyako, are ripped from their home, rounded up—along with thousands of other innocent Japanese-Americans—and taken to the Manzanar prison camp.

Buffeted by blistering heat and choking dust, Lucy and Miyako must endure the harsh living conditions of the camp. Corruption and abuse creep into every corner of Manzanar, eventually ensnaring beautiful, vulnerable Miyako. Ruined and unwilling to surrender her daughter to the same fate, Miyako soon breaks. Her final act of desperation will stay with Lucy forever…and spur her to sins of her own.

*****
Thank you, Sophie, for saying yes when I suggested your name for "Back to the Beach". And, thank you for saying yes when Chantelle Osman asked you to write in my gift book. Here's Sophie's note.

From Sophie Littlefield -

"Dear Lesa,

You were among the first in the mystery community to make me feel like there was a place for me. I was encouraged and buoyed by your warmth and kindness then, and you remain one of the reasons that I love my job. As a former Hoosier, I'm delighted that you'll be making Indiana your home! In the words of the old Hoagy Carmichael song, 'Back in Indiana I will find/ All the folks so dear to me.' Adventures ahead!

Sophie"

Thank you, Sophie. And, may all your adventures bring excitement and joy.


Sophie Littlefield's website is www.sophielittlefield.com

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

{sniffle}
You're the best, Lesa. The Hoosier state is lucky to have you! - sophie

Lesa said...

Hugs, Sophie. You're going to love doing Back to the Beach for Melanie.

Ricky Bush said...

I really enjoyed Bad Day For Sorry. I'll check out her new one.

Jane R said...

Books with WW II as a backdrop are popping up all over the place. It's a fascinating period of our history, with so many different avenues to explore. I will be on the lookout for Sophie Littlefield's newest book. Thanks for the review.

Cozy in Texas said...

Impressive number of awards.
Ann

Lesa said...

Thanks, everyone. Why is it that Sophie's new book makes me think of Sandra Dallas' Tallgrass? Nothing at all the same, but just reminds me of that book.

Patricia Stoltey said...

Ah, two of my favorite people in one post. I think I first discovered Sophie's books right here on your blog, Lesa. I'm looking forward to reading Garden Stones.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Patricia! What a nice compliment for both of us. I'm looking forward to it, too.