Friday, January 18, 2013

Fonduing Fathers by Julie Hyzy

Julie Hyzy's latest White House Chef mystery, Fonduing Fathers, could certainly be read as a standalone, but for all of us who have been faithful readers of the series, this book is a treat. Olivia Paras is still at the White House, however this book is a personal story. Hyzy has been hinting at secrets about Ollie's father. Now, Ollie and the reader has the chance to dig into his past.

Ollie's father died when she was little, and she only knew he was buried at Arlington. She visited his grave there, knowing he served his country. She couldn't believe her mother when she finally revealed that Ollie's father had actually been dishonorably charged from the army, and a friend found a way to get him buried there. She was shocked, though, to learn that her father had been murdered, shot and left for dead. Ollie certainly wasn't going to let those two stories alone. She knew in her heart that her father was a hero, and she was determined to dig into the past and find the truth.

Over the course of the series, Ollie has been involved in a number of threatening situations that dealt with national security. She's sure investigating her father's background will really only matter to her and her mother. However, when her boyfriend, Gav, introduces her to a secretive man who warns her against digging too deep, Ollie realizes her father may have  been a bigger hero than she ever realized. Once again, Ollie Paras' actions set her on a dangerous path.

Hyzy has won Anthony and Barry Awards for this series. Deservedly so. Ollie and her friends are well-developed characters with complex lives and relationships. And, the course of investigations and romance have not always been smooth. Now, Hyzy wraps mystery, romance, and undercover investigations into an excellent story with secrets that haunt survivors decades later. Some readers will complain there isn't enough of the White House kitchen in this book. However, those of us who have grown to love Ollie will be pleased that Ollie's investigation is rewarded with answers and love. As I said, Julie Hyzy's Fonduing Fathers is a treat for readers who delight in Ollie Paras' perilous adventures as White House chef.

Julie Hyzy's website is www.juliehyzy.com

Fonduing Fathers by Julie Hyzy. Berkley Prime Crime. 2012. ISBN 9780425251812 (paperback), 293p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - The publisher sent me a copy of the book, hoping I would review it.

8 comments:

Ricky Bush said...

Ha! I had to look twice at the title to realize that it did not read, Founding Fathers. Now that's quite a creative title. Caught my attention.

Jane R said...

I'm a big fan of this series too. DC is one of my favorite cities so that makes it even more appealing. I've been looking forward to this book and your review has really whetted my appetite!

Karen B said...

I love this series and my copy is sitting right in front of me saying "get off the computer and read me - NOW!"

Lesa said...

it was a good title, and an even better book. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did.

Julie Hyzy said...

Thank you so much, Lesa. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to get to know Ollie over the years. She counts you as a dear friend, just as I do.

Lesa said...

Julie,

I've enjoyed getting to know Ollie. It's an honor to know her, and to count both of you as friends. Thank you.

Karen C said...

I haven't been able to read all of the books in this series, but I have enjoyed those I've read.

Deep sigh. So many books, so little time!

Liz V. said...

Enjoy WH chef and Manor House series.