Sunday, December 16, 2012

Sherlock: The Casebook by Guy Adams

If you're missing the BBC series Sherlock starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman, you just might want to pick up a copy of Sherlock: The Casebook by Guy Adams. It's everything a fan could want, beginning with those gorgeous jacket photos of Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson.

Adams has put together a complete casebook, allowing Sherlock to do an interesting cover blurb that says, "Don't buy this book." The cover blurb is quite dry, in Sherlock's voice. Then, creators Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss tell how they came up with the idea for the show while they were working on Doctor Who and traveling back and forth by train. The behind-the-scenes look at the series is fascinating. But, it gets even better.

The casebook tells the story of each of the BBC episodes. They're written as if John Watson was relating the stories on his blog. And, he and Sherlock comment on the crime investigations as their conversations go back and forth via sticky notes. It's an ingenious method that reminds the reader of the series itself.

Fans will enjoy the comments made by Cumberbatch and Freeman as well as Moffat and Gatiss. There are all kinds of photographs from the series. The author also takes time to credit the actors who played Holmes before, discussing those movies. All in all, Sherlock: The Casebook is a book that should satisfy any fan of the latest British rendition of the classic stories.

Sherlock: The Casebook by Guy Adams. BBC Books. 2012. ISBN 9781849904254 (hardcover), 160p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - A friend loaned me a copy of the book.


6 comments:

Karen C said...

My daughter loves this series. I think this would make a great birthday present for her! Thanks.

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Karen!

Beth Hoffman said...

I have a friend who is a Sherlock fanatic. I'll be sure to send him your link. Thanks, Lesa! Hope you and the kitties are having a nice Sunday.

Lesa said...

We had a great Sunday, Beth. I went to see The Hobbit and out to lunch. Then I spent the rest of the day with the kitties, so they were happy, too.

Rosemary said...

Oh that's great Lesa, I'm going to look for it for one of my daughters - another problem solved!

Both of my girls saw The Hobbit (separately!) at the weekend. Anna said they'd added in things that weren't in the book, presumably to stretch it out to 2 films (or is it 3?), but they both thought it was brilliant anyway.

On Thursday the 3 of us will go to see 'It's a Wonderful Life' at the Film House in Edinburgh - it's a little Christmas treat we give ourselves every year.

I have one of my kitties on my lap right now, which is my excuse for not getting on with my cleaning...

Have a good day!

Rosemary

Lesa said...

Rosemary,

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas. It sounds as if you had family and kitties together, so I hope it was warm and comforting.