Thursday, December 13, 2012

Pie Crust

So, what am I doing when I should be packing? Making a pie. Our holiday potluck is today at Velma Teague, and I promised one of the staff members a cherry pie. I've made them for his birthday, given him the recipe. In fact, he refused to share his birthday pie with anyone, and took it home and ate it himself. This time, the pie is for everyone.



You don't need the recipe for the inside. It could be any pie - cherry, apple. What you need to know is the crust is special. I don't care about anyone's recipe that calls for cold water, or butter, or whatever. This is my mother's recipe for pie crust. It's the best I've ever tasted, and I'm always disappointed when I have a pie at a restaurant. No crust I've ever tasted can compare with the one that comes from this recipe.

So, today's blog combines food, what I'm doing instead of packing, and reading. Here's Mom's recipe for pie crust.

2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 cup Crisco
1/3 to 1/2 cup cold milk

Cut flour, salt, and shortening together with pastry blender or fork. Mix 1/3 cup milk in and add more if needed. Mix till you can form ball and then roll out to size of pan. This is enough for a 2 crust pie.

Twenty-seven years ago, I made this crust for the first time after we moved to Florida. It's always been the perfect crust recipe. Thank you, Mom, for the recipe.

11 comments:

Mom said...

You are welcome. I'm glad that you enjoy making cherry pie.

Nancy said...

Just like my grandma's pie crust except she used cold water. It's great that you're carrying on your mother's tradition.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Mom. I do. This time, I added part of a third can of cherries. I hate it that they've reduced the size of the cans. I like a full pie. We'll see how the inside tastes!

Lesa said...

Thank you, Nancy!

Carol N Wong said...

Yum!!!

Karen C said...

This pie looks yummy!
I gave up on making pie crusts a long time ago. I use pre-made crusts if I'm baking a pie now. Guess I'm lucky no one in my family really likes pies!

Lesa said...

I take too much pride in making them, Karen. I wouldn't want to give it up.

Janet Rudolph said...

Great recipe.. crisco is perfect for a great piecrust... I'm sure the pie will be great.... sad times, though..leaving friends.. but a new beginning, too, with new pies to share :-)

Lesa said...

I had very happy staff members, Janet, when they ate the pie. You're right. And, right now, it's just the endings. But, I have secret plans for the new beginnings. Almost all of 2013 will be new!

Jane R said...

This looks soooo good! I love pie and usually take a short cut. But this sounds easy and a mom's recipe is always the way to go! Thanks to you and your mother! I plan to give it a go very soon.

Lesa said...

Hope the recipe worked for you, Jane!