Monday, December 31, 2012

Ending 2012

What better way to end 2012 than with memories of friends? My friends threw me a surprise goodbye party at The Poisoned Pen on Saturday night. Authors, friends who are from the library world, and readers all together at my favorite bookstore. What a beautiful send-off from Arizona and 2012.

I can't thank Chantelle Aimee Osman enough. She was the instigator for the entire event. Then, Barbara Peters offered to host it at the bookstore. Anna (known not only as a friend, but cat sitter to all of you), worked with Chantelle to contact authors, and Cheryl Kennedy, the Library Director, invited the library staff.

Here's what the party sign looked like, as well as the cover of my gift book.

Jim would have loved the reference to the George Clooney movie. And, I still can't believe there was a Poisoned Pen party for me!

When Barbara showed me the beautiful cake, she said she and Louise Penny furnished the cake.

With Barbara Peters
This is the wrong picture of me cutting the cake. Chantelle told me to look murderous, and in the photo on her camera, I'm holding the knife as if I'm stabbing the cake. Now, that's murderous!



I hope I had the chance to talk to everyone who came. Kris Neri, author and owner of The Well Red Coyote bookstore in Sedona, came down for the event. Thank you, Kris!

Kris Neri and Chantelle Aimee Osman
Library staff came to the event, even though they had been to goodbye lunches for the last couple weeks. That means so much to me. Thank you.

Darrell James came up from Tucson. Donis Casey came even though it was her birthday, and she had a dinner date afterward. I had the chance to see some of my friends from Desert Sleuths Chapter Sisters in Crime one more time. Thank you to them, and to all the other friends who came.



Oh, and Rob Rosenwald, publisher of Poisoned Pen Press, was the photographer for the group shot. But, I managed to catch him, and the only uninvited guest, Odin. (I think Odin was actually the most popular guest, though.)



Chantelle put together a beautiful book for me, with contributions from a number of authors. There are still some coming in, so there will be more later. I have enough wonderful notes to keep the blog occupied for days while I'm on the road and getting settled in Evansville. The book is organized in this order, so I'm thanking the authors that way - Craig Johnson, Louise Penny, Brad Parks, Chris Grabenstein, Julie Hyzy, Hank Phillippi Ryan, James O. Born, Beth Hoffman, Kelli Stanley, Juliet Blackwell, Zoe Sharp, Bryan Gruley, Rebecca Cantrell/Bekka Black, Kira Peikoff, Sophie Littlefield, Avery Aames/Daryl Wood Gerber, Gigi Pandian, Libby Fischer Hellmann, Rochelle Staab, Cara Black, Timothy Hallinan, Donis Casey. I know Chantelle has a note from E.J. Copperman to add to the book. I can't wait to share some of these notes with you over the coming days.

I can't think of a better way to end 2012 than a send-off by friends, notes from my author friends, and all of it at The Poisoned Pen. This year certainly didn't end as I would have expected at the beginning of 2012. We never know where life will take us. Mine is taking me away from friends in Arizona, and heading me to new friends in Evansville, Indiana. I'm taking wonderful memories with me. And, I know that I'll see some of these friends again, and many of the authors. (Some of the authors have already told me they want to come to Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library.)



So, Happy New Year to all of you. Readers here on my blog have shared all my travels, my conventions, the author appearances and book reviews. We all share that love of books. This year, I'm not celebrating the New Year with fireworks. Instead, I'm wishing you all Happy New Year. May your 2013 be filled with balloons, and laughter, hugs and good books, and most of all, family and friends to share whatever life brings you in 2013.









10 comments:

Kay said...

Lesa, I'm so glad your friends were able to surprise you with a party at the PP! And what a wonderful thing to write authors and ask for notes. I'm sure you were overwhelmved. Totally deserved. Our hearts go with you as you trek across the country to Indiana.

I've never visited Indiana. I was telling my husband last night about your party (which Cathy wrote about) and asked him if there were any golf courses in Indiana that he'd like to visit. :-)

AZ loss is IN's gain! Could Barbara open a PP #2? LOL

bermudaonion said...

What a lovely tribute to you. It must have been a bittersweet evening. I know you'll be missed.

Gaye said...

Oh Lesa, what an honor indeed. A Poisoned Pen sendoff is a highlight for only the best!!!

You will be missed greatly. I will miss your infectious laugh and smile that is evident wherever and whenever I've run into you. Thanks for always making me feel like I was the special one when it was really you who is the literary-rockstar!!

Travel safe. Go with a squadron of angels and remember those of us who love you back here in good ol' AZ. The sand somehow really gets in your sandals and you may find yourself coming back just to shake it out and...bless us with a visit!

Happy 2013...Good luck and stay as close as your blog, friend!

Karen C said...

A lovely post, Lesa. You have certainly been blessed with so many wonderful friends and we've been blessed by you sharing them and your experiences with us. I love your New Year's wish for us. I wish the same for you. Happy New Year! Travel safely.

Beth Hoffman said...

Such a fabulous surprise for you, Lesa. You are so loved! And now you're about to embark upon a journey that will lead to a brand new chapter in your Life Book, and I have the feeling it's going to be a grand one!

Lesa said...

What beautiful messages from all of you. I am so lucky that my blog will allow me to stay in touch with all of you. Thank you, Kathy, Gaye, Karen & Beth, and all the readers who don't comment, but read here faithfully. I'm glad you're all in my Life Book. And, Gaye, thank you for another beautiful send-off.

Nancy said...

That truly was a star-studded send-off, with you as the super star!

Joe Barone said...

May your time in your new job produce as many friends and be as productive as these last years have been!

Lesa said...

Thank you, Nancy. And, Joe? That's a wonderful wish for the future for me. Thank you!

Ingrid King said...

What a wonderful send off for you - it must have been a bittersweet experience.

Happy New Year to you, Lesa - may it be filled with health, happiness - and purrs!