Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Perfect Hope by Nora Roberts

Nora Roberts concludes her wonderful The Inn Boonsboro trilogy with a more than satisfying tribute to Pride and Prejudice, the story of Ryder and Hope.The Perfect Hope brings together so many elements of Austen's beloved story.  Ryder Montgomery is seen by Hope Beaumont as a little surly, marginally unsociable, has a hard time talking to strangers, but he's definitely sexy, tall, dark, and handsome. Ryder finds Hope snooty, and maybe a little snobbish. Definitely Darcy and Elizabeth material. If The Inn Boonsboro with its tribute to romantic couples isn't enough for the literary-minded, there's also the ghost of Eliza Ford, and her lost love, Billy. Lizzy and William. And, there's even a sleazy Wickham in the story. Hmmm.

Now that the inn is up and running, Hope, as the innkeeper, is constantly on call. That doesn't mean she doesn't have time for her two best friends. Clare Montgomery, owner of Turn The Page bookstore, is now married to Beckett, the youngest brother of the Montgomery Family Contractors. Avery MacTavish, the owner of a pizzeria, and the restaurant and tap room the Montgomerys are finishing, is engaged to the middle brother, Owen. And, it isn't long before Hope's friends can tell she has a thing for Ryder.

Ryder certainly has dated enough women, but he finds Hope too snooty for his taste. But, when she asks for a kiss so the ghost will let them out of the room she has mysteriously locked, he's more than willing. And, he doesn't mind when she asks him to go along with her when she kisses him in the parking lot to get back at her slimy ex-lover, Wickham. They both want a relationship on their own terms - not what they want to call a relationship. It might take a second nasty Wickham, some family members, and a tragic ghost story to bring the two together.

My favorite Nora Roberts' books are her trilogies. She has time to develop relationships, storylines, and people you're eager to get back to reading about. The Inn Boonsboro series also had the added element of that extraordinary inn where rooms were based on romantic couples who had happy endings. The books are charming romances with fun characters. And, Roberts' inclusion of family, ghosts,, and small town gossip and news only adds to the enchantment of this series.

I couldn't do justice to this series, though, without saying you need to start from the beginning. Go back and pick up The Next Always, and then The Last Boyfriend. Only then will you be able to appreciate the satisfying conclusion, the story of Hope and Ryder in Nora Roberts' The Perfect Hope.

Nora Roberts' website is www.noraroberts.com

The Perfect Hope by Nora Roberts. Berkley Books. 2012. ISBN 9780425246047 (paperback), 324p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - Library book







9 comments:

Marleen said...

I can't wait for this book to reach my library. Last time I checked there was still no sign of it, but Roberts is on Standing Order so hopefully I won't have to wait too long. Would make a perfect read for the Christmas holidays.

Lesa said...

I check these books out at the library, too, Marleen. I love this series!

Ingrid King said...

I just finished this book, and loved it. It was even more fun for me to read since I visited Boonesboro this summer. Unfortunately, we couldn't tour the Inn (it was locked because the guests were having Sunday brunch at the time), but it was fun to see the rest of the town. The Nora Roberts room in the local bookstore was quite an experience!

Karen C said...

I just finished reading The Perfect Hope and loved it. I, too, love Nora Roberts' trilogies. I get so wrapped up in the characters and story that I don't want the series to end. Have been known to shed a tear at the end! I liked your review, Lesa.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lesa said...

Karen & Ingrid,

I'm so glad you feel the same way. And, Ingrid. I'm jealous that you've been to Boonsboro and saw the bookstore. But, darn. I would have wanted to see the rooms!

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.supra-shoesnz.net]supra shoes[/url]
[url=http://www.giubbotti-moncleroutlet.com]outlet moncler[/url]
[url=http://www.giubbotti-moncleroutlet.com]outlet moncler[/url]
[url=http://www.nbajerseys-australia.net]http://www.nbajerseys-australia.net[/url]
[url=http://www.nbajerseys-australia.net]http://www.nbajerseys-australia.net[/url]
[url=http://www.supra-shoesnz.net]supra shoes[/url]
[url=http://www.giubbotti-moncleroutlet.com]outlet moncler[/url]
[url=http://www.supra-shoesnz.net]supra shoes[/url]
[url=http://www.giubbotti-moncleroutlet.com]outlet moncler[/url]

Rosemary said...

Hi Lesa, - the bit underneath your review says 'no comments' - but when I came here I found all of these!

Anyway, this trilogy sounds great - I have to admit I have never read a Nora Roberts book and had no real idea of what they were about, so I'm so grateful that you've enlightened me. I am needing an enjoyable read after having to plough through several books that I haven't liked at all. How wonderful that you can visit the exact location too - I doubt if I'll ever get to this one, but I love going to see places in books when I can.

I hope your packing's going well - it's always such a chore, and you find so much stuff you didn't know you had. Have you found somewhere nice to live yet?

We had our first snow here yesterday - gone now, but my son in the Highlands has tons of it. Good for the ski-ing!

Rosemary