Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Jane Isenberg, Guest Blogger



Jane Isenberg's mystery, The Bones and the Book, is a departure from her Bel Barrett mysteries featuring an English professor in mid-life. Those earlier mysteries are the reason for Isenberg's interesting biography on her publisher's webpage. It says, "Jane Isenberg taught English to urban community college students for close to thirty years. She has been writing mysteries ever since she experienced her first hot flash. Her copies of Modern Maturity are delivered to her new home in Amherst, Massachusetts, that she shares with her husband Phil Thompkins." It's my pleasure to welcome guest blogger, Jane Isenberg, today.

          Widowed by the 1965 earthquake, Seattle housewife Rachel Mazursky translates the Yiddish diary of a murdered young immigrant girl whose bones were unearthed by the same quake. Rachel shares her translation with the reader so the diarist’s distinctive voice alternates with Rachel's own passionate account of her response to the diary. The refugee’s story moves Rachel, compelling her to read between the lines while searching Seattle for clues to the young woman's murder.

          A Jewish fortune teller inspired me to write The Bones and the Book. I remember gaping at a facsimile of her business card in the gift shop of the Tenement Museum on Manhattan’s Lower East Side. Her card claims that she “tells you the past, present and future” and “gives the best advice in business, journeys, law suits, love, sickness, and family affairs.” Over a century ago this immigrant palmist lived in the very same building that houses the Museum. Where did she get the guts to flout rabbinical strictures that forbid predicting the future? I’m a big fan of women who defy rules men make for us, so right there in that shop I resolved to write a historical mystery featuring a young Orthodox Jewish palm reader living on Manhattan’s Lower East Side. I named her Feigele, and she took up residence in my head sharing space with Bel Barrett whose adventures I was then writing about. 

          Feigele was still in my head years later when I moved from the east coast to Issaquah, Washington where I discovered that I was often the only Jew in the room, an outsider. I began reading Pacific Northwest history including that of the small Jewish community there. What would a spirited Orthodox Jewish girl like Feigele have experienced in rough Nineteenth Century Seattle or in lawless Alaska during the Gold Rush? She could very well have come to a bad end. She could have been killed. With that realization, I decided to set Feigele’s story in the Pacific Northwest and have her tell it in her diary.
          But Feigele would have written her diary in Yiddish, and I don’t speak Yiddish. That’s when I invented Rachel Mazursky, the widow who translates the fortune teller’s diary in 1965 and ultimately figures out who killed the diarist. Rachel is a smart and resilient Jewish mother with an empty nest, an empty bed, a passion for history, and a tale of her own to tell. Unlike Feigele who looks to the future, Rachel probes the past for clues and finds comfort and courage there as well. Readers see early Jewish Seattle and Gold Rush Skagway through Feigele’s immigrant eyes and Sixties Seattle through Rachel’s American ones.
My Bel Barrett mysteries are set in a time and place I’m very familiar with and Bel does work I had done for decades and was still doing when I began to write the series. But The Bones and the Book is set in two different time periods, one I knew little about and the other I barely remembered. As a recent “transplant” to Washington, I also knew little of the Pacific Northwest and, truth to tell, as a not very observant Jew, I knew little of Orthodox Judaism or Jewish history. And the work Feigele does is not work I’ve ever done. So, for the first time, I was writing what I didn’t know. But I had retired, and I was determined to learn what I needed to know to tell this story and so learn I did
After years of research, I finally let the long-dead pioneer palmist out of my head, turned her loose on the page, listened to her voice, and joined her on her very American outsider’s odyssey. Writing The Bones and the Book has been deeply rewarding. By fictionalizing the little known history of Seattle’s pioneer Jews, I’ve become a pioneer myself instead of an outsider.

***** 
Thank you, Jane. What a fascinating story about your new book!

Jane Isenberg's website is www.janeisenberg.com

The Bones and the Book by Jane Isenberg. Oconee Spirit Press. 2012. ISBN 9780984010929 (paperback), 262p.

7 comments:

Beth Hoffman said...

What a terrific post. When I read: "A Jewish fortune teller inspired me to write The Bones and the Book." And then, when I read this: "Where did she get the guts to flout rabbinical strictures that forbid predicting the future? I’m a big fan of women who defy rules men make for us, so right there in that shop I resolved to write a historical mystery..." I knew this book was for me.

I can't wait to read it!

Patricia Harrington said...

The whole story line and character sound fascinating. And providing a glimpse into a society/religion many of us are not that familiar with. Really looking foward to reading this. A Jewish fortune teller, not that raises all kinds of questions.

Pat Harrington

Joyce Yarrow said...

I have read this remarkable book. Jane Isenberg weaves together the Gold Rush days and the 1960's in Seattle in a unique tale that is historically fascinating and also a finely spun mystery with characters who spring to life on the page.

Highly recommended!

Sandie Herron said...

Jane,

If only you could have included your much more detailed description of THE BONES AND THE BOOK on the back cover or dust jacket copy. I think that would have made it so much more compelling to read. I had plans to read it myself, but it just moved up the TBR pile.

I do wonder if one of the things you did in those years of research was to learn Yiddish? Or did you have a translator help you?

I'm not sure how other readers do when they read, but I often say the words in my head as I read them. Guess that's part of the reason I'm so slow. I'm wondering, how do you pronounce Feigele? You may say in the book, but I can see that I'll get stuck on that one without guidance.

I absolutely loved that you started writing following your first hot flash!

One other thing I'm a bit confused about, if I may be so personal. Do you live in the NW or Amherst as the article referenced states in the beginning?

I'm so looking forward to learning more about Rachel and Feigele. Thanks for the detailed information!

Sandie

Lesa said...

I don't have any answers, but hopefully Jane will find a chance to answer. Thanks!

JaneIsenberg said...

Thanks, all for your comments. Sandie, Feigele is pronounced as if it were spelled Fayguhluh. Phil and I have been living in Issaquah, WA, a suburb of Seattle. I wrote some of the Bel Barrett books in NJ, some in MA, and two here. We moved here in 2003. I don't speak Yiddish. I wrote the diary as I imagined Rachel would have translated it. I got help with translating excerpts of it for the chapter headings. Do hope you enjoy the book! Jane

Anonymous said...

uggs You will be in fact provided an enormous preference from which you could potentially pick out your bag as per your need devoid of struggling with any problems. You will find selected things that need to be considered even though deciding upon your bag. This consists of your choice of allocated budget since it is best to stay using your price range as you can find both of those low-priced bags that happen to be low in high quality together with high high quality bags which have been created out of high quality materials like pure leather-based whereby you are provided the assure make use of them for several years without triggering any harm.

uggs outlet The first way where you may develop a mailing list by way of no cost giveaway occasions will be to really create the events yourself. You are able to do this by arranging other business enterprise homeowners as part of your offered area of interest and inquiring them whenever they are interested in giving away goods to be able to make mailing lists. In many circumstances, you will want to use some type of celebration to be a cause of conducting the giveaway.

www.louisvuittonhandbagsu.com We tried out the alumni affiliation, search engines, and every little thing else that wouldn't expense a bundle. Nothing labored right up until Fb. There she was, easy to come across, and we renewed our friendship. Check with if your world wide web designer is ready to assist your internet needs later on. It is actually myth that when you obtain an internet site done, it is actually finished. With internet technologies growing by leaps and bounds, acquiring a site is just the start in the tale.

www.uggsbootsoutletmall.co.uk A spring-latch lock is not hard prey for burglars who're "loiding" authorities. Loiding will be the manner of slipping a plastic credit score card in opposition to the latch tongue to depress it and unlock the door. A deadbolt defies any this sort of attack. We use World wide Clearly show Method for all those Louis Vuitton Toddler Machines worldwide deliveries. Beneath usual situations, you might possess the merchandise between 5 and 10 doing the job days louis vuitton sweden. Definitely effortless to implement say I picked readily available a Prada females purse for any garage sale for realistic.

louis vuitton handbags This human being hadn't identified as or visited for the duration of his medical center keep while they lived around by. I felt abandoned and shocked they of all folks would strike the road once they had been wanted most. It had been all around two weeks immediately after surgery before they finally termed to find out how Seth was, and it had been a strange contact - a little something had come concerning us.