Thursday, September 13, 2012

Winners and The Penny Effect

Congratulations to the winners of this week's contest. Pat R. of Avon Lake, OH won the copy of Louise Penny's The Beautiful Mystery and Kay S. of Georgetown, TX  won Cleo Coyle's A Brew to a Kill. I'll notify Cleo, and she'll be sending the copy of A Brew to a Kill. I'll mail The Beautiful Mystery tomorrow.

This week, I'm going to offer you mysteries connected to Louise Penny.  First, I mentioned I had an autographed copy of Penny's Still Life, the first book in her Armand Gamache series. This is a mass market paperback that I bought and had Louise sign when she was here at the beginning of the month. If you haven't yet started the series, I urge you to start with this book. If you're already a fan, now is your chance to have a copy of the book that introduced Armand Gamache and the village of Three Pines. This book went on to win the New Blood Dagger, the Arthur Ellis, Anthony, Barry and Dilys Awards.

In an interview with Lenny Picker in Publishers Weekly in August, author G.M. Malliet talked about the influence of Louise Penny on Malliet's publishing career. On Facebook, she said I owe it all (almost) to Louise Penny. If you'd like to read the article, here's the link, http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/authors/interviews/article/53519-cozy-fan-tudor-pw-talks-with-g-m-malliet.html. Maybe more important to you is the opportunity to win a copy of Malliet's first Max Tudor mystery, Wicked Autumn. Tudor is a former MI5 agent turned Anglican priest and sleuth. In Agatha Christie territory, it's a woman in the traditional English village of Nether Monkslip who is found murdered, and Max steps in to sort through the villagers who disliked her. The second book in this series, A Fatal Winter, is due out next month, so now is your chance to win this one.

Which book would you like to win, Still Life or Wicked Autumn? You can enter to win both, but I need separate entries. Email me at Lesa.Holstine@gmail.com. Your subject headings should read either "Win Still Life" or "Win Wicked Autumn." Entries from the U.S. only, please.

All entries need to be in by 6 PM on Thursday, Sept. 20 when I'll pick the winners using a random number generator.




4 comments:

Karen C said...

Congrats to Pat and Kay.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rosemary Kaye said...

Lesa, linking authors like that is a really good idea - one that I may borrow for our new book group! I am going to read the interview with GM Malliet when I get back from the shopping trip that I've been putting off all morning.

Am so jealous of anyone who has a copy of the new Louise Penny - we are still waiting here in the UK.

Rosemary

Lesa said...

Thank you, Rosemary! GM Malliet actually brought it to mind when she did this interview. I had a copy of her last book, so it sounded perfect.

All I can say is, you still get the chance to read it, and it's all over for me. You'll love The Beautiful Mystery.