Thursday, September 13, 2012

Sandie's Elevator Pitch - William Kent Krueger Follow-Up

Following up on my news quip on Friday, I wanted to let you know that William Kent Krueger’s book TRICKSTER’S POINT spent its first week listed as number 12 on the New York Times bestseller list.  Congratulations Kent!!


 I thought I would share just a bit more about him to celebrate…

“At nineteen, I wanted to be Ernest Hemingway. I read everything by him and about him. In the course of my reading, I stumbled onto a couple of pieces of information concerning Papa's lifestyle that I tried to incorporate into my own way of being. First of all, Hemingway never wore underwear. Well hell, I thought, whatever was good enough for Papa was good enough for me. Right away I discovered that Hemingway must have been made of sterner stuff, and I went back to wearing my beloved Fruit of the Looms. But I also learned in my reading that Hemingway's favorite time of day for writing was at first light. I gave it a try. And I liked it.”

When Krueger and his wife moved to St. Paul, she went to law school, and a block from his home he found “a café called the St. Clair Broiler that opened its doors at 6:00 a.m. I began rising at 5:30 to groom and prepare for the day, then I'd hit the Broiler and spend an hour or so writing before I hustled off to my job that kept food on the table and a roof over our heads. Mostly I wrote short stories, some broilerof which were published, and couple of which won awards. Writing longhand in cheap wire-bound notebooks in booth #4 at the Broiler became for me a part of the magic of the creative process.
"Although I write full time now and don't have to get up at the crack of dawn, I still do.  The St. Clair Broiler and I have separated, not because of anything on their part, but because I moved. I still live in St. Paul, but such a great distance from the Broiler that it would be a difficult commute to write there every morning. I still do all my creative work in a coffee shop; it’s just a different coffee shop and… it's still the best time of every day. Not only am I dreaming in those hours, I'm fulfilling the dream."

*****
 William Kent Krueger's website is www.williamkentkrueger.com

Trickster's Point by William Kent Krueger. Atria. 2012.

7 comments:

Jane R said...

I'm always on the lookout for new authors/titles for my husband, who never seems to have time to track them down for himself. After reading your review of Krueger's latest book, I decided this might be a series he'd enjoy. I picked up the first book in the Cork O'Connor series from the library and I plan to read it as well. Thanks for the info on a new (to me) author!

Lesa said...

Jane, That's just what I was hoping to do with Sandie's elevator pitches, introduce readers to authors that I don't normally talk about. Great! I'm glad you and your husband are going to try Krueger's books!

Karen B said...

I love his books - and have fond memories of the St. Clair Broiler from the late 50s/early 60s. I never made it there in the early mornings. Too bad - we might have met or at least said Good Morning!

John said...

He is one of my favorite author



Accredited High School Diploma Online

Lesa said...

Just think what you missed, Karen! He must have been a regular. You at least could have nodded in recognition.

Lesa said...

I hope you enjoy this book, John.

Sandie Herron said...

I'm so pleased that I've been able to introduce one of my favorite authors to others. If you are interested in reading anything further by me about Kent Krueger, you might wish to read a follow up to 100 Best Mysteries of the Century entitled They Died in Vain. Both books are collections of essays edited by Jim Huang and published by Crum Creek Press in 2002.