Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Last Wool and Testament by Molly MacRae

Possibilities! I just love a new mystery series with wonderful characters and so many possibilities for future books. And, I'll admit I don't often read craft mysteries because I am the least crafty person in the world. But, Molly MacRae's first Haunted Yarn Shop mystery, Last Wool and Testament, drew me in. And, once poor Kath Rutledge's life unraveled before my eyes, I had to continue.

Kath's troubles started even before she arrived in Blue Plum, Tennessee for her grandmother's burial. She was running late and was stopped for speeding by Deputy Cole Dunbar. A speeding ticket, and then he had the nerve to refer to her Granny as Crazy Ivy. Then he dropped the bombshell that her death was convenient. It seems a man in town, Emmett Cobb, had recently died of poisoning, and Dunbar suspected Kath's grandmother.

Fortunately, Ivy McClellan's employees and friends from her fiber and fabric shop, the Weaver's Cat, don't suspect Ivy. And, Kath is going to need all the help she can get. She'll even accept help from a depressed ghost who haunts the house where Kath ends up staying. Why isn't she staying at her Granny's cottage? It appears that Ivy sold the cottage to Emmett Cobb, and now his son owns it. Just one more shock for Kath. But, no matter how upset she is, she's determined to clear her Granny's name. And, since the ghost has a personal stake in it, she has an unexpected ally. And, Kath may need those allies when Dunbar questions her when her Granny's house is broken into, and another death occurs.

I'll admit I guessed who the villain was early on. But, that didn't destroy the enjoyment of this mystery because the cast of characters is so delightful. Kath, even in mourning, is spirited, angry and determined. There's a strong group of supportive artists, the fiber and needlework artists who make up a group called TGIF, Thank Goodness It's Fiber, that meet regularly at the Weaver's Cat. That group is filled with interesting characters, from Ardis, the store manager, Mel, who owns a wonderful bakery/cafe to Ernestine, who is almost blind, but is still knitting, working, and driving. And, it was hard for me to resist Thea, the librarian. She's loud, and fun, and even when knitting hats for preemies, she picks a literary theme, red and white striped for The Cat in the Hat.

So, start Last Wool and Testament for the mystery. But, if you guess who the killer is, you'll want to continue reading for that wonderful cast of characters, the magic of the Weaver's Cat, and the possibilities for the future. There are still secrets to unravel in Kath Rutledge's life, and mysteries that Ivy McClellan left for her granddaughter to discover. Molly MacRae leaves us with possibilities.

Molly MacRae's website is www.mollymacrae.com

Last Wool and Testament by Molly MacRae. Obsidian. 2012. ISBN 9780451237828 (paperback), 337p. (paperback)

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - The publisher sent me a copy of the book, hoping I would review it.






8 comments:

Carol N Wong said...

Sounds like a great one for me. I love to knit but had to stop because how many hats, scarves, blankets and so can a person use or giveaway? Anyway, I still love is so I this knid of cozy a lot. Thanks for reviewing it. It is going on my wish list.

Karen C said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! Can't wait to read it.

Jane R said...

Sounds like a great start for this series. Strong characters and a good mystery can't be beat. I definitely plan to read this one. Thanks for the review!

Lesa said...

Oh, Carol. You're going to want to pack up and visit the Weaver's Cat. Even as a non-knitter, it sounded wonderful. I think you'll love this book.

Lesa said...

I hope you enjoy it, Karen!

Lesa said...

My pleasure, Jane. I really liked the characters. I hope you enjoy it!

Dru said...

I too, figured out who the killer was and it was fun trying to figure out the why.

It was a good read.

Lesa said...

Wasn't it a good book, Dru? Never would have guessed the why of it!