Monday, September 17, 2012

Kitty Cornered by Bob Tarte

Anyone who feels manipulated and trained by their cats will feel a little smug after reading Bob Tarte's Kitty Cornered: How Frannie and Five Other Incorrigible Cats Seized Control of Our House and Made It Their Home. Most of us aren't quite as beaten into submission as journalist Tarte is. Of course, he and his wife have an entire menagerie, not only these six cats.

Tarte and his wife, Linda, live in Michigan, where, if you believe his account, he spends most of his time cowering in the house away from society while trying to figure out how to outsmart the cats. And, it's not working. Bob and Linda already arranged their house and sleeping arrangements around the schedules for three cats, when a fourth, Frannie, showed up in their yard. And, as anyone who has had three cats knows, what's one more? Tarte tells how a young boy who didn't like cats ended up as a man who begs for the attention of all of them.

Some of the stories of the cats are funny, including Moobie's attend at coping with an Elizabethan collar after a cancer scare. Or maybe I should say, Bob's attempt at coping with the collar is funny. In most cases, it's Tarte's behavior that adds the humor to the stories. The cats just know how to outsmart him.

Even for a cat lover, the book became a little repetitive. However, their are wonderful cats in this book, along with some amusing stories. And, it just reinforces my belief that cats are smarter than we are, and train us well. And, Bob Tarte certainly let his six cats run the house in Kitty Cornered.

Bob Tarte's website is www.BobTarte.com (Oh, and the six cats have their own advice column on the site.)

Kitty Cornered by Bob Tarte. Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill. 2012. ISBN 9781565129993 (paperback), 288p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - Library book


13 comments:

bermudaonion said...

We have a senior dog with dementia and I can relate to this - my life revolves around caring for the dog. It's all good, though, because she's still as sweet as she can be.

Lesa said...

Oh, my cats schedule my home time, too, but I'm not as controlled as the author is. I do understand, though, Kathy.

StephTheBookworm said...

Been wanting to read this one! I love cats. Mine are sneaky and hilarious.

BPL Ref said...

I did a review on this book a few weeks back. I think this is one of my favorite cat books ever, but that's because Bob Tarte has such a good sense of humor. He reminds me of Robert Benchley. Also, none of the cats die in the book. Moobie and her "funnel of happiness" makes me smile.

Jeanne

Lesa said...

Cat lovers will appreciate these cats, Stephanie.

Lesa said...

You're right, Jeanne. It was good that none of the cats died. That was my favorite part of the whole book, Moobie and her "funnel of happiness".

Beth Hoffman said...

There's no doubt in my mind that I need to read this. LOL

Lesa said...

And, wait until you see the one I'm reviewing tomorrow, Beth!

BPL Ref said...

In an interview Bob said he wanted to title the book "The Funnel of Happiness" but the publisher wanted something else. I liked Funnel of Happiness: makes a nice counterpoint to Cone of Shame!

Jeanne

Lesa said...

I like Funnel of Happiness as well, Jeanne!

Bob Tarte said...

Lesa, thanks so much for your really nice review of my book! I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

Ingrid King said...

I've been meaning to pick this up - thanks for the review, Lesa!

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing.