Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Sleuth or Dare: Partners In Crime by Kim Harrington

Kim Harrington kicks off a new mystery series for middle-grade readers with Sleuth or Dare: Partners in Crime. Marketed as for third grade to seventh, it's a fun read that introduces two self-professed nerds, seventh graders, as amateur detectives.

Norah Burridge narrates the story of a class assignment she and her best friend, Darcy Carter, are working on for  social studies. They have to create a small business, and make a class presentation a week later with the name, logo and a business plan. Darcy who "breathes Internet" and loves crime shows, comes up with the idea of a detective agency called Partners in Crime. Darcy understands that she likes the mysterious and edgy appeal of the topic, while Norah would like that the business helps people. Great! Just a fake business for a school presentation.

Well, not so fake because Darcy hooks into the school's Intranet, and their website for the business is actually live. When someone emails them and asks for help finding their twin, it's Darcy who jumps on it. Norah holds back until Darcy convinces her someone really needs their help. The two girls are investigating a real missing persons case. And, then the threats start.

Harrington's Sleuth or Dare: Partners in Crime is just the sort of mystery I would have enjoyed when I was in elementary school. Of course, it's updated from my day with cell phones and computers. But, the two girls are smart, enjoy school, and find a way to solve mysteries. You might want to try it on the middle grade girl in your life. It looks like it's another fun mystery series published by Scholastic.

Kim Harrington's website is www.KimHarringtonBooks.com

Sleuth or Dare: Partners in Crime by Kim Harrington. Scholastic. 2012. ISBN 9780545389648 (paperback), 192p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - The publisher sent me a copy of the book, hoping I would review it.




4 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I'm still looking for a book that will hook my daughter on mysteries! Maybe this will be the one...thanks for the recommendation, Lesa. :)

bermudaonion said...

I would have loved that book when I was a kid too!

Lesa said...

Good luck, Elizabeth. I hope this works!

Lesa said...

I would have too, Kathy. My kind of characters - nerds.