Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Jacqueline Winspear at Royal Palms Resort

Barbara Peters from Poisoned Pen Bookstore gave me a wonderful opportunity yesterday when she allowed me to host Jacqueline Winspear, author of the award-winning Maisie Dobbs books. The program was advertised as "An Afternoon of Cheesecake and Crime," and it was held at T.Cook's at the Royal Palms Resort in Phoenix.

Royal Palms Resort

I'm afraid you're not going to get my normal summary today. Since I was the one who interviewed Jacqueline, both at the tea and at the Poisoned Pen last night, I didn't have the chance to take notes. Let me just say, Jacqueline is so knowledgeable about the years between the Great War and World War II that it's fascinating to listen to her. And when she talks about the changing roles of women in those years, you know that Maisie Dobbs is a woman of her times.

Since I can't summarize the programs, I'll have to link to my book review for Winspear's latest book, Elegy for Eddie. Jacqueline actually didn't want to spoil the book, so she didn't talk much about it. She did say, though, that one of the ideas for this book came from a story her father always told about a man he knew who was born in a brewery stable, and, from that beginning, always had a magical communication with horses. He was the basis for Eddie.



And, take a good look at the cover of Elegy for Eddie. There's a cart being drawn by a horse, alongside a car. Automobiles and horses were still side-by-side on the roads at the time of this story, and many people depended on their horses. The building on the front is one of the seats of power, Parliament, and that's important to the story as well, as is the Thames and the bridge. And, the horse? That's based on a picture of Jacqueline's horse, Oliver, a Friesian gelding.

I'll end with all of the information for Jacqueline's book and website, but you might want to check out her blog as well, www.MaisieDobbs.com. It's a fascinating place to learn about women who "lived, worked and served during the Great War, who navigated their way through the 1920's and '30s, then served again during the Second World War."

It was a true honor to have the opportunity to interview Jacqueline Winspear twice yesterday. Thank you, Jacqueline, and thank you, Barbara.


Jacqueline Winspear's website is www.jacquelinewinspear.com

Elegy for Eddie by Jacqueline Winspear. HarperCollins. 2012. ISBN 9780062049575 (hardcover), 355p.

Jacqueline Winspear and Lesa Holstine (photo by Chantelle Aimee Osman)

5 comments:

Kay said...

What a fun time you must have had yesterday, Lesa! You both look so pretty in the picture. Looking forward to reading this latest Maisie book.

Lesa said...

I did have a great time, yesterday, Kay, even though part of it was unexpected. I didn't know I was going to interview Jacqueline at Poisoned Pen last night. Well, my house isn't quite as clean as I planned for Mom, but she'll understand. She's coming to see me, not my place.

bermudaonion said...

Oh, what fun! I know you did a fabulous job - I wish I could have been there.

Jane R said...

Oh lucky you! I just know you had a wonderful day! Jacqueline Winspear is one of my favorite authors. My husband has read all her books as well and we are both looking forward to Elegy for Eddie. Meanwhile, have a great time with your Mom!

Karen C said...

Sounds like you had a fabulous time - thanks for sharing it.