Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Upcoming Events

I just couldn't get through 400 pages in R.J. Harlick's A Green Place for Dying in one day. Review tomorrow. In the meantime, I'll just fill you in on a few of my upcoming book activities.

Saturday, March 10, I'm moderating a mystery panel at the Tucson Festival of Books. It's called "Cozies Deserve Respect, Too." It's a terrific slate of authors, Earlene Fowler, Avery Aames and Kate Carlisle. We'll be talking about their most recent books, and, of course, why cozy mysteries deserve respect. Earlene's most recent book is Spider Web. Clobbered by Camembert is Avery Aames' new book. And, Kate Carlisle's latest best seller is One Book in the Grave. I've hosted all these women for Authors @ The Teague, and they don't need a moderator. I'm sure it's going to be fun. If you're in Tucson on March 10, the panel is at 4 p.m.


The Monday after the Tucson Festival of Books, March 12, I'll be hosting three of the authors who appeared at the festival. Appearing for Authors @ The Teague at 2 p.m. that day will be Rhys Bowen, author of Hush Now, Don't You Cry, Cara Black, author of Murder at the Lanterne Rouge, and Libby Hellman, author of the forthcoming book, A Bitter Veil.

I'm truly honored to have the next opportunity. Barbara Peters from Poisoned Pen asked me to host Jacqueline Winspear for a Cheesecake and Crime Afternoon. Here's the information as it appears on Poisoned Pen's website. Join Jackie at T Cook’s Restaurant at The Royal Palms for a social hour and program about her new Maisie Dobbs mystery Elegy for Eddie (Morrow $26) while enjoying cheesecake, tea or coffee. Librarian Lesa Holstine is your host. It's $48. That includes a copy of the book. It's Monday, March 26 from 2:30 to 4. Here's the link to the Poisoned Pen's website, if you'd like the address, more information, or to make reservations. http://poisonedpen.com/event/jacqueline-winspear-cheesecake-crime-afternoon.

April is busy, too. But, I'll save details until the events get closer. Two Authors @ The Teague events, Brad Parks and Jenn McKinlay; an interview with Cara Hoffman at The Poisoned Pen, and Kevin Hearne's release party for his new book.

A couple busy months coming up with book activities. And, the most important activity of all is at the end of March. Mom's coming to visit. Sorry, everyone. Can't top that. 









10 comments:

Liz said...

I'm looking forward to the visit also, Lesa. Love, mom

Lesa said...

Me, too, Mom! Love you!

Rosemary said...

Lesa - shame on you ! Not being able to get through 400 pages in one night - tsk!! Personally I'm doing well if I get through 40 pages, and I don't even have to write a review. I think you're incredible - even if you only posted one review a week, I know we would all await it with bated breath.

Those events sound absolutely wonderful - I am SO jealous. I have started a Kate Carlisle book on your recommendation, would never have heard of her otherwise - love the cat details! One question - do all these authors come to speak for love, or do they charge fees? i just wondered because I would still like to encourage our local libraries to do more of this, but I know they haven't got any money.

I hope you have a wonderful time with your Mum. Is she also an avid reader? My mother reads only murder mysteries - her favourites are Ruth Rendell, PD James, Minette Walters, Robert Goddard - and since I introduced her to Louise Penny's books, she also loves those, and wants to visit Quebec.

Rosemary

Joe Barone said...

For a slow reader like me, it makes me feel good to know that even you can 't get through 400 pages in one night. I do appreciate all the books you critique. I've found some good books in the bunch.

Lesa said...

Well, I might have made it, Rosemary, if I hadn't watched Celtic Thunder's new dvd last night. I just didn't think you wanted to read my review of that.

The authors do come for "love," but most of the time, I've partnered with Poisoned Pen, so they're getting at least two appearances while they're here in the area. And, then Poisoned Pen handles the sale of their books. They're really coming for book sales and additional publicity. They also know I'll blog the event afterward.

My Mom is an avid reader. For a couple years, I gave her a book a month. And, I still send her a book now and then when I think she'll enjoy it. She reads women's fiction, some mystery, some biography.

Lesa said...

No, really it's usually 200-250 a day, Joe. But, when I don't get a full lunch hour, and take time to watch a dvd, I run out of time.

I'm glad, though, that I sometimes find something that interests you!

Inside A Book said...

Wahoo...you're a party animal, alright!! I can't wait to pop in to your Mystery panel. I'm counting the days til the Festival!

Congrats on some downright fun events!

Karen C said...

I'm hoping my daughter moves to Arizona so I can visit her and just happen to time those visits for some of your events!

Lesa said...

Thank you! And, I'll look forward to seeing you again in Tucson!

Lesa said...

Karen,

Does you daughter have plans to move to Arizona? Hope it's in the Phoenix area if you're hoping to come to library events. That would be great!