Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Three-Day Town by Margaret Maron


Some readers were waiting for the next Judge Deborah Knott mystery from Margaret Maron. I’ve been waiting sixteen years for the next Sigrid Harald book. Maron satisfied all her fans by bringing her characters together in Three-Day Town.

Deborah and her husband, Dwight Bryant, have been married for a year, but they finally have time to take a honeymoon. Dwight’s sister-in-law loans them her Manhattan apartment for a week. After taking the train from North Carolina, they expect a week of playing tourist and playing honeymooners. And, everyone at the apartment building welcomes them, from the building superintendent to a minor TV celebrity who invites them to a party. Before they can settle in and enjoy themselves though, they have an errand. Deborah has to deliver a package to Lieutenant Sigrid Harald of the New York Police Department, a box sent from her grandmother.

When Sigrid hears what is in the box, she suggests she’ll pick it up that night, meeting the Bryants at their neighbor’s party. When Deborah realizes the apartment door is open, she asks the police to accompany her. Together, they find a body. It looks like it will be a busman’s honeymoon for the judge and her husband, a major in the sheriff’s department. Sigrid Harald has her team to bounce ideas off of, but has an additional team with Deborah and Dwight. And, as people disappear, and stories of thefts pile up, Sigrid will need all the suggestions she can get.

Mysteries probably make up about 70% of my reading, so I read about three of them a week. But, mysteries become something special when they come from the hand of a master. It’s no slight to other authors to say Margaret Maron’s characters and plot rise above so many others. Maron has been concentrating on the Deborah Knott books in recent years, but she skillfully brought Sigrid Harald into the story, and gave enough backstory to introduce her to new readers or remind others of the characters. And, if readers hadn’t read any of the award-winning Deborah Knott novels, it was easy to “meet” the judge and her husband.

Maron manages to switch point of view skillfully, moving from first person as Deborah speaks to third person for Sigrid’s chapters. It works perfectly in Three-Day Town.

In fact, so much of Three-Day Town was perfect. As a fan of New York City, I loved the glimpses of the city. I totally agreed with Deborah’s love of Times Square. Maron captured the glitz and enchantment at night.

But, my favorite part of the book wasn’t even the mystery. It was the chance to catch up with Sigrid Harald, her wonderful roommate, Roman Tramegra, and her team. As fellow blogger, Kaye Wilkinson Barley said, it’s like coming home.

So, thank you, Margaret Maron, for Three-Day Town, a trip back to New York City and Sigrid Harald’s world as seen through Deborah Knott's eyes.

Margaret Maron’s website is www.MargaretMaron.com

Three-Day Town by Margaret Maron. Grand Central Publishing. ©2011. ISBN 9780446555784 (hardcover), 278p.


FTC Full Disclosure – Library book

12 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Wonderful review, Lesa! 16 years...wow. I'm looking forward to reading this one--sounds amazing.

Lesa said...

The last Sigrid Harald book was in 1995. I've waited a long time for this one, Elizabeth! Thank you.

Kay said...

So excited about this one. I've been a Deborah Knott fan from the get go. Not sure I ever read a Sigrid book, but you can be sure that I will now.

Lesa said...

I'm sure you're going to enjoy it, Kay. Heard that from a Deborah Knott fan, Kaye Barley.

Bev Stephans said...

I'm waiting for this book to be delivered. I'm really looking forward to reading it.

I haven't read any of the Sigrid books yet, but I've been collecting them over the years to read all at once. I think I still have one or two to go before I have them all.

I wish more people were aware of Margaret Maron's skills as a writer. She is truly awesome!

Liz said...

Another good new-to-me author.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Lesa said...

I'm sure the Sigrid mysteries are harder to come by, Bev, but I always loved them. I love the voice of those stories.

You're right. So many people don't value the traditional mysteries for the strength of the writing, character and plot development.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Liz. Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

Karen C said...

I haven't read any of Margaret Maron's books, but this one made it to the TBR list after your recommendation. Thanks.

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Karen. I hope you enjoy it!

Jody said...

I just started reading this book today. Just love having Sigrid and Deborah in one book.

Lesa said...

By now, you've probably finished it, Jody. I hope you liked it as much as I did.