Thursday, November 24, 2011

Giving Thanks

I love Thanksgiving. It’s a chance to pause before the hustle and bustle of Christmas. I love the food, the television (Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, then The National Dog Show followed by Miracle on 34th Street), the calls home to family, and the four-day weekend. But, most of all, I like the chance to remember the year, and give thanks.

Jim died in 2010, and my wonderful mother came in for Christmas last year so I wouldn’t be alone that first year. So, before I even summarize 2011, I have to say I’m thankful I have a wonderful Mom and sisters, along with the rest of the family. But, I love sharing time and laughter with Mom, Linda and Christie. Sometimes Linda and I spend an entire phone conversation laughing.

And, thank you to all my friends, the ones I traveled with this year, visited, and shared laughter with. Then, there are all the authors who shared their time, at Velma Teague, at conferences, at The Poisoned Pen, and on my blog. Thank you. There are friends I’ve never met, but we still share conversations and love. Thank you. I'm thankful for all the authors who have appeared for Authors @ The Teague. And, I'm grateful to the authors, the publishers and publicists who have sent books, appeared on my blog, corresponded, Tweeted, and written to me on Facebook.  Thank you! My life would not be as full without all my friends in the book community.

I had a year filled with joy. What will I remember about 2011 with gratitude? This was my year for travel, and I loved every second of it. I always wanted to see Santa Fe. I jumped at the chance to combine Santa Fe with my love of crime fiction. Left Coast Crime in Santa Fe was fun, and I had the chance to spend time with my friends in Desert Sleuths, Zoë Sharp and her husband, Andy, and meet other authors and fans of crime fiction.

When Talia Sherer from Macmillan asked me to be on a panel at BEA, it meant a trip to New York City. I met librarians I have admired, and had a great time. I’d go back to New York in a second. Three Broadway plays! Time Square. Just the magic of New York City. I’m grateful to Talia for inviting me to participate in BEA, and making that trip possible.

In June, I went home to Ohio for Mom’s 75th birthday. It was a trip filled with family, friends, and lots of laughter. Thanks, everyone!

Everyone here read about my October trip to Los Angeles, Disneyland, and my time with my college roommate. Thank you, Jamie, for thirty-six years of friendship.

Next week, I’m going home to Ohio. I haven’t been home this late in the year for over twenty years. I’m hoping I don’t see snow, but I’ll be thankful to see family and both my hometown and Cleveland decorated for Christmas.

Of course, I’m thankful for my co-workers. I still can’t believe they nominated me for the Arizona Library Association’s award for public service. Thank you. And, thank you for all the laughter and hugs we’ve shared over the years.

And, my last thanks are reserved for home, the place I go where the cats wait for me, where I settle in with good books, music, a college football or basketball game. I love my cats, my books, and the comfort of home.

My Thanksgiving wish for you? May you appreciate the unique pleasures of your own life, your health, your family and friends, the good books you love. I hope you have the comforts of home, and joy in your life.
I’m thankful for 2011, and all the joy it brought to my life. Thank you for sharing 2011 with me.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

13 comments:

Mom said...

A beautiful tribute to all you are thankful for, Lesa. We are lucky to have a great family and our health. Happy Thanksgiving and looking forward to next week.

bermudaonion said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Lesa!

Lesa said...

Thank you, Mom. We are so lucky in our family, aren't we? See you Wednesday! Love you!

Lesa said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Kathy. Thank you!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Happy Thanksgiving! So thankful to have had the chance to meet you this year! :--)

Liz said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Lesa.

Judy Starbuck said...

I'm so grateful to be included in your circle of friends. You're my "everyday friend" and start the morning with your fabulous book reviews and thoughts on daily life. You set a great example on how to turn tough times into blessings, and what's really important. You're my inspiration!

le0pard13 said...

Wonderful piece, Lesa. Best to you and yours on this Thanksgiving Day.

Bev Stephans said...

Happy Thanksgiving Lesa!

Karen C said...

A very lovely post and tribute. Among other things, I'm thankful that I found your blog site.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Beth Hoffman said...

Such a beautiful post, Lesa. I am so grateful that you came into my life, and I'm privileged to call you friend!

Thanksgiving love and hugs to you and your kitties.

Lesa said...

Thank you, everyone. I truly value your friendship. And, Judy? Thank you for starting every morning with me, and sharing my world. I'm glad I can be a small part of yours.

Anthony Alves said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Lesa!