Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Rogue by Frederick Ramsay

If you haven't yet entered Ike Schwartz' world in Virginia, the seventh book in Frederick Ramsay's series, Rogue, is a perfect place to start. Meet Ike, the investigator, a little off his stride, but it’s the perfect way to learn what makes Ramsay’s character tick.

Ruth Harris, Sheriff Ike Schwartz’ fiancĂ©e, is in a D.C. hospital, in a coma with a shattered left leg, a neck brace, and a head injury. Although the local police call it an accident, Ike is convinced it was no accident.  And, as a former CIA agent and the sheriff of Picketsville, Virginia, Ike has resources to draw on to find someone who tried to kill the woman he loves. But Ike might be blinded to the fact that he could have been the intended victim.

Ike might be blind to a few things because of his rage and determination. Back in Picketsville, his staff is pulling for him in the local election for sheriff. And, they’ll do anything to support him, working behind the scenes. They have a few cases there to handle, including a death at the university, a supposed suicide. But, they’ll find time to dig around for the sheriff who can’t step in his own office since the mayor is supporting the other candidate.

Ramsay always presents Ike with complex cases that are more involved than they appear on the surface. The Picketsville Sheriff’s Office staff is a terrific group of characters. And, there’s always quiet humor, particularly when the staff attempts to undermine the mayor. And, for readers who have already discovered the series, Charlie Garland, Ike’s colleague from the CIA, is an integral part of this story. The more we see of Charlie, the enigma, the better.

If you haven’t discovered the Ike Schwartz books, one of my must-read series, I hope you give them a chance. Start with the intriguing Rogue. Then, I hope you go back and start the series from the beginning.

Frederick Ramsay's website is www.frederickramsay.com 

Rogue by Frederick Ramsay. Poisoned Pen Press.  ©2011. ISBN
9781590589045 (paperback), 261p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - Library book




8 comments:

Liz V. said...

Thanks for the recommendation.

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Liz. Love this series. I always look for the next one.

Bev Stephans said...

This is a new to me author. I've put Rogue on my wish list. I went to Frederick Ramsay's website, and found that he has led a varied life. I just wonder if any of that life has carried over into his books.

Beth Hoffman said...

You've sold me, Lesa!

Lesa said...

Bev,

He doesn't have a religious angle to his books, so that isn't in them, Bev, although there is a minister. He's a minor character. The law enforcement types are the major ones.

Lesa said...

I hope you like the books, Beth. I think they're terrific.

Openbox S9 said...

"Rogue" by Frederick Ramsay is a wonderful addition to the mystery of a long list of my favorites! Although I wish I had started so late in the series, whether it is better late than never.

Lesa said...

Thanks, Openbox S9. I like this series so much. Glad I could share it with you!