Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Blaize Clement - R.I.P.

If you've read my blog for a few years, you probably came across my reviews for  Blaize Clement's Cat Sitter mysteries. I was fond of them, since I knew the Sarasota area she wrote about. Author Elaine Viets informed readers on DorothyL yesterday that Blaize died of cancer on July 20, and she attached the obituary from the Sarasota Herald-Tribune. I know I didn't know of all the health problems Clement had over the years.

This is the kind of news I always hate to pass on. Here's the link to the obituary.

http://bit.ly/p2tUbn

I'm sure Blaize Clement would be pleased to know her son, John, will continue the series. According to the obituary, she left two upcoming novels, and he's signed a contract to write at least two more.

Rest in peace, Blaize Clement.

10 comments:

Liz V. said...

It seems that, notwithstanding all the challenges, Blaize Clement faced life head on and had fun. What a great example for her children. I wish them the best and hope John does well with the series.

Lesa said...

I agree with you, Liz. It sounds as if she made the best of her life. I'm hoping John does well with the series, for his sake. I'm sure it means a great deal to him to continue his mother's work.

Beth Hoffman said...

What an inspiration she was, and she's left a wonderful legacy for her son and all her readers too.

Lesa said...

You're right, Beth. As much as I hated to read that obituary, I'm glad Elaine Viets let us know about it. She was an inspiration.

Ingrid King said...

Oh no, I'm so sad to hear this. I had no idea Blaize was ill. I'm glad that her son is continuing the series, but it won't be the same. What a sad day for mystery lovers.

kathy d. said...

I have not read Blaize Clement's series, but I am so glad to read about her strength and accomplishments despite her disabilities.

What a role model for how to go on with life and to make the most of it.

Lesa said...

Yes, Ingrid. Mystery authors lost a gifted storyteller. Let's hope her son does a good job with Dixie Hemingway.

Lesa said...

Wasn't she a wonderful role model, kathy? I had read her books from the very beginning, but I didn't know about her life.

Elaine Viets said...

The Mystery Florida Conference in Sarasota will not be the same without Blaize this year. I really admire her for working to perfect her craft to the end of her life.

Lesa said...

Ah, Elaine. You're another author who overcame a number of difficulties to continue writing. I'm sorry you lost a friend and fellow writer.