Monday, April 11, 2011

Jim's Birthday

Jim would have been 62 today. I didn't comment on the anniversary of his death, but, thanks to a couple friends here in Glendale, it's appropriate to comment on his life.

One of those friends, Dixie, participated in the cancer relay this weekend. So, in Jim's memory, I bought a luminaria. But, it was another friend, Susie, who wanted to decorate it. Lacking any artistic skills whatsoever, I turned it over to her.

Susie truly honored Jim's life, with everything she knew about him. Jim loved Ohio State. He hung out at Starbucks, He definitely considered himself an old hippie. And, I loved the two pictures she put on the bag, his grinning face, and, my favorite picture of the two of us, at the Grand Canyon.

She even quoted one of the statements he used to say to her, along with his comments that he and I only got married to read. Then, she quoted my tribute to him after his death.

One friend walking for cancer. One friend honoring Jim's life. Truly a nice way to remember Jim on what would have been his 62nd birthday. Thank you.





27 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Those are sweet memorials, Lesa. I'm sure Jim would love the ways your friends are remembering him on his birthday.

Bev Stephans said...

What a wonderful tribute to Jim and a great way to celebrate his life!

bermudaonion said...

That sounds like the perfect way to commemorate Jim's birthday. I'm sure he was pleased.

Lesa said...

Thanks, everyone. Yes, Jim would have been very pleased.

Jen Forbus said...

That makes me smile! It's fitting. Jim "illuminated" many lives, including mine and we never had the chance to meet in person!

That's just lovely Lesa!

Hugs!

Janet Rudolph said...

How wonderful. What good friends.

Lesa said...

It makes me smile, too, Jen. I like that - he "illuminated" many lives. Thanks.

Lesa said...

Thanks, Janet. I do have great friends.

Keith Harrison said...

I'll get to Starbucks tomorrow Jim, and raise a grande white mocha for you x

Laura Alden said...

Lesa, my own husband's birthday is today. At dinner tonight, we'll be sure to make a toast in honor of Jim. (And what a great picture of the two of you at the Grand Canyon!)
Take care, Laura

Kay said...

That is so precious. I love it. Jim is missed by everyone I know, even those of us who didn't get to meet him in person. Hugs.

le0pard13 said...

What a beautiful remembrance, Lesa. Best to you.

Kay said...

That's such a wonderful & lovely tribute to your husband, Lesa. You are blessed with great friends! Many hugs my friend, I know all too well how hard anniversaries, birthdays, & special days are.

LSUReader said...

Thanks for sharing your poignant remembrance. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Lesa said...

Ah, Keith. A visit to Starbucks. The perfect tribute to Jim. (And, he would have liked it that you egged your MP who wanted to close the library, too.)

Lesa said...

Thank you, Laura. It's a good day for birthdays. The very first children's librarian I ever worked with, a wonderful one, celebrates her birthday today as well. Happy Birthday to your husband. And, that's my favorite picture of the two of us.

Lesa said...

Thank you, everyone. I appreciate all the thoughts, prayers, and toasts. Jim would, too.

Judy Starbuck said...

I'm sending love, prayers and a toast with my morning coffee.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Judy. And, I'm sending love, prayers and a hug back.

kathy d. said...

What a beautiful tribute to Jim, and all of the blog posts are very touching, honoring him.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Kathy. It's a nice way to honor Jim.

Ingrid King said...

What a wonderful way to remember Jim and honor his memory. You're in my thoughts.

Beth Hoffman said...

What a lovely tribute to Jim!

Big hugs to you, Lesa.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Ingrid. It was a wonderful way to remember Jim.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Beth. You know I always feel your hugs, and know you're thinking of me across the miles.

Kris said...

What a wonderful way for you and your friends to remember such a great guy.

Lesa said...

Thanks, Kris. I know they made it special for me.