Saturday, November 27, 2010

I Remember Nothing and Other Reflections by Nora Ephron

Nora Ephron's book of essays, I Feel Bad About My Neck, was probably a bestseller because so many of us could identify with the essay by that name.  I actually prefer her latest collection, I Remember Nothing and Other Reflections.   While Ephron seems to tell more personal stories.  At the same time, there are so many articles about aging and change that it's easy to relate to them.

The essay, "I Remember Nothing" starts by saying it's easy to start down that slippery slope of forgetting names and words.  Ephron used the same memory tricks many of us do, scrolling through the alphabet, trying to remember the first letter of a word.  But, then she goes into details as to events in her life that she can't remember, such as meeting Eleanor Roosevelt and covering the Beatles on their first trip to the U.S.  Then, she brings it back to something we can all relate to; "The Senior Moment has become the Google moment, and it has a much nicer, hipper, younger, more contemporary sound, doesn't it?"  I love it that she admits we can't retrieve the memories of our lives, but we can retrieve facts.

Ephron's collection includes stories of her mother, comments about chicken soup, e-mail, and getting older.  It may be a glimpse into her life, but it also contains reflections on our own lives.  The humor, the nostalgia, the bittersweet recognition, will all make a connection for those of us who are women of a certain age.  I Remember Nothing and Other Reflections will become a collection to pass between friends.

I Remember Nothing and Other Reflections by Nora Ephron.  Knopf, ©2010. ISBN 9780307595607 (hardcover), 160p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - Library book


19 comments:

bermudaonion said...

This sounds like an essay collection I can relate to.

Lesa said...

I liked this one better than the previous book, Kathy. You're right. There was more that I could relate to.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Right now my life is so crazy-busy that I need something like an essay collection to read! This sounds like it fits the bill, Lesa...thank you!

Bonnie said...

I didn't read her previous book but this sounds like one that I could relate to as well. It sounds like one that you can read easily in chapters which is nice.

Lesa said...

And, Elizabeth? I have Lisa Scottoline's new collection, which should be fun. You might want to look for that one as well.

Lesa said...

Bonnie,

This time of year, I think we're all looking for books we can pick up and put down. You might enjoy this one.

kathy d. said...

I love anything Nora Ephron writes, and am sure I'll love this book.

She wrote a hilarious parody of Stieg Larsson's "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo," trilogy. It's posted at:
http://www.newyorker.com/humor/2010/07/05/100705sh_shouts_ephron

Thanks for posting this message about the book. It is definitely on my TBR list; now this reminds me to get it from the library.

Lesa said...

My pleasure, kathy! I could identify with sections of this book, particularly the parts about memory. Although I have to say, I remember important events in my life a little bit better than Nora Ephron does. I hope you enjoy it!

kathy d. said...

Really! Yes, memory, oh, that. I've decided that being in the moment is my goal these days.

The NYT Book Review had a review of Ephron's new book. The writer said that she remembers everything well enough to write about them, including quotes by her mother and other relatives and friends.

There's also a spread in the NYT magazine about her, which is funny.

kathy d. said...

Also, I just started "I'd Know You Anywhere," by Laura Lippman, which you very nicely sent to me.

The problem is, as is true with her stand-alones, I can't put it down. I'm hooked and I have tasks at hand for Sunday.

So the eternal dilemma unfolds--do I read or do what I'm supposed to do? I feel like I'm in high school with the reading vs. homework dilemma.

Lesa said...

Now, as an adult, the dilemma is, is this something that HAS to be done by tomorrow, or can I read the book I want to read. Most of the time, kathy, I fall on the side of read the book.

I love your comment that you've decided to live in the moment! Very good!

kathy d. said...

Thanks, Lesa. I did read all night, am now doing needed tasks, but rushing to return to Lippman's book.

Yes, live in the moment, my motto. It's actually a good adage to live by.

Also, if you like global mysteries, I suggest Teresa Solana's "Not a Perfect Crime." There is no violence or gore. It is hilarious, a satire of Barcelona life.

Lesa said...

Thanks, kathy, for the suggestion. It sounds good. I'm just totally backed up right now, so I'll have to pick it up later. I appreciate the suggestion!

Ricky Bush said...

Remind me to remember to get this for my wife for Christmas.

Lesa said...

And, Ricky, when am I supposed to remind you? I'm reviewing a terrific collection of essays tomorrow as well.

Clea Simon said...

oh I meant to comment on this - did you see that "at home" with her in the NYTimes? fun photos and questions like what does she always have in her fridge... I will try to send the link.

Thanks for this!

Clea Simon said...

here you go - more Nora if you want it!
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/28/magazine/28FOB-domains-t.html

Lesa said...

Thanks, Clea. I'll have to read it. Sounds good. Have to see what she always has in her fridge. I always have water, bread, ice cream, and turkey for the cats!

Villarrealboet said...

This sounds like an essay collection I can relate to.