Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Wild Ride by Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer

Are demons the new vampires? I was finishing Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer's new book, Wild Ride, today, a story involving demons, when I had library patrons requesting other titles containing demons. It just seemed odd. And, that's a good description of Wild Ride, odd.

Dreamland is an amusement park in Ohio, desperately in need of renovation. Ray Brannigan put up the money to renovate it, in exchange for a 50% share in the park. But, Ray has plans to take over the park. The rest of the shares are owned by a team of people who desperately need to hold on to the park. Known as the Guardia, they are guards of a group of five demons, keeping them trapped in figures at the park. But, as Halloween approaches, the demons start to escape. And, one demon, the devil, Kharos, has his own plans for the Guardia and the park.

Mary Alice Brannigan, Mab, has no knowledge of any of this. Although she's Ray's niece, she never liked or trusted him. But, she's always been fascinated by Dreamland, a park she was never allowed to enter as a child. Now, she's skilled at restoring anything relating to a carnival. But, the woman who describes herself as, "I have no charm. I'm no beauty. I dress like a tramp and not the slutty kind," will discover she has a power the Guardia need if they're to maintain control of the park and the demons.

As usual for a Crusie/Mayer novel, there's romance, attempted humor, suspense, and Special Forces. This time, throw in a special government team investigating anything having to do with Area 51, the unknown. But, I don't know if it's demons and possession, but this book just fell flat. None of the characters came to life, and it may be because of the unbelievable premise. In my opinion, if you want to read a terrific novel by Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer, skip Wild Ride. Go back and read their earlier book, Agnes and the Hitman. That's the one that shows them at their best, with a funny plotline, terrific characters, romance, and a frying pan. Wild Ride is a kiddy ride in comparison.

The authors' website is www.CrusieMayer.com

Wild Ride by Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer. St. Martin's Press, ©2010. ISBN 9780312533779 (hardcover), 368p.

9 comments:

Nikki Thornton said...

Liked your post. Someday I hope to write a book where the royalties will pay for the copies I give away.
:-)
Nikki

Lesa said...

Hey, Nikki. I get your comment about the royalties paying for the copies. Thanks. (grin)

Mary said...

Even for this genre it does sound a little "out there". I think I'll check out Agnes and the Hitman. I appreciate your review, Lesa.

Lesa said...

My sister and I both found Agnes and the Hitman to be a fun book, Mary. I hope you like it!

Bob said...

Well ok. Thanks I guess.

Lesa said...

Sorry, Bob. Wild Ride just isn't anywhere near as good, or as much fun as Agnes and the Hitman. I've enjoyed both the previous collaborations, but I was bored with the demons. This book just wasn't as funny nor as romantic as Agnes.

Anonymous said...

REALLY dumb story with weak characters.

Lesa said...

As I said, Anonymous, not up to previous efforts.

sanora white said...

I just finished wild ride and I adore it hoping for a second. I will read all they're books in time but wild ride Was my first I'm excited to see what is next.