Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Twitter Book by Tim O'Reilly & Sarah Milstein

Do you Twitter? How did you learn what to do on it? If you're like me, you poked around on it, and learned everything by yourself. I wish I'd known about Tim O'Reilly and Sarah Milstein's The Twitter Book a year ago, when it first came out.

If you're not familiar with Twitter, or have been curious about it, the book tells you what Twitter is good for, everything from keeping up with breaking news to communicating with other people in areas of interest. I've watched award shows, while all of us tweeted about the winners. This book suggests ways to find people to follow, and how to make the most of Twitter.

Twitter limits users to 140 characters to answer the question, "What are you doing?" The Twitter Book provides ideas and examples of things to post. Then it provides ways to make the best use of Twitter, including Retweeting, or repeating what others have written.

I understand The Twitter Book is a year old, and things change rapidly in the world of social media. Even so, I've found a number of tips that may prove helpful. It's a useful book for those of us who learned our own way around Twitter, as well as for those who haven't tried it yet. O'Reilly and Milstein have written a useful tool for anyone who Twitters.

I can be found on Twitter at @LesaHolstine, or http://twitter.com/LesaHolstine

The Twitter Book by Tim O'Reilly and Sarah Milstein. O'Reilly Media, Incorporated, ©2009. ISBN 9780596802813 (paperback), 234p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure: Library book

12 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

Sounds like a book I need. I'm so lost on Twitter. I know that it has its benefits, but there's so much I still don't understand about it. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction with this book.

Mary said...

I'll give it a page through next time I'm at the bookstore.

Molly said...

Well, I should definitely look into this one, as I just "don't get" twitter. OF course, a part of that problem could be because I don't have a lot of time to log into Twitter.

bermudaonion said...

I am on Twitter and learned the same way you did, but I think this book would probably help my mother-in-law a lot.

Cozy in Texas said...

I picked up a pocket edition of Twitter for Dummies but still find it to be a crazy concept.
Ann
www.cozyintexas.blogspot.com
www.annsummerville.com

Lesa said...

Mason,

I've told anyone who asked that you just have to find your purpose on Twitter. Who do you want to connect to? Once you've decided who you want to follow, it makes a little more sense.

Lesa said...

Check it out, Mary, and see if it makes sense to you.

Lesa said...

And, the book is in a good format, Kathy, simple to use and understand.

Lesa said...

Ann,

Hopefully, this book is easier to use than the Dummies book. Check and see if your library has it.

Lesa said...

Molly,

You do have to spend a little time getting comfortable with Twitter. If this book doesn't help, maybe Twitter isn't for you. I still think you have to have a purpose, even if it's only communicating quickly with friends.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I think I use Twitter just one way and that's it. Could be a helpful book for me to figure out more ways to use the application. :)

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Lesa said...

If nothing else, Elizabeth, I learned how to change the background on my Twitter page. (grin) And, I've already used two things they showed from the book besides that.