Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Red Delicious Death by Sheila Connolly

If you're not already a fan of Sheila Connolly's Orchard mysteries, Mary Ann Lasher's cover illustration should reach out and grab you. Lasher's book cover beautifully summarizes Connolly's latest mystery, Red Delicious Death. Apples, an old house with an inviting porch, a chef's hat, and a bee. I could just tell you that's my summary of this inviting book, but I won't.

Meg Corey has been in her house in Granford, Massachusetts for about six months, and it was only recently that she learned she had inherited an apple orchard. Between restoring the house, learning about her orchard, working with her orchard manager, and getting to know Seth Chapin, her neighbor and a town selectman, she doesn't have much extra time. But, with the lack of local restaurants, she jumps when a friend calls saying some young chefs are hoping to open a restaurant in the area. Soon, Meg is acting as business advisor, friend, and mother hen to three eager young people. Their ideas of buying local food for the restaurant excite most of the town. But, someone must not have been very happy, because it isn't too long before one of them is found dead in a farmer's pig field.

I'm hoping Sheila Connolly can avoid the Cabot Cove syndrome with her Orchard mysteries. Granford is a very small town, but it's a perfect setting for these stories. It's been enjoyable watching the developing relationship between Meg, her orchard manager, Seth, and the rest of the community. Meg is starting to find her place in Granford. Connolly has created an interesting town in Granford, and Meg's volunteer work for the historical society opens up another aspect of the village, its past. And, the story of Granford's past has been an integral element to each of these books.

Red Delicious Death is another treat by Sheila Connolly. But, the author isn't one to rest on her laurels. Just when the reader thinks they're satisfied with this latest book, she ends the book with one word that leaves us impatient for the next Orchard mystery. Well done, Sheila!

Sheila Connolly's website is www.sheilaconnolly.com

Red Delicious Death by Sheila Connolly. Berkley Prime Crime, ©2010. ISBN 9780425233436 (paperback), 304p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - The publisher sent me a copy of the book, in hopes I would review it.

18 comments:

Mary said...

Sounds like a great series - adding it to the ever growing tbr list!

Lesa said...

Mary,

This is a series that both of my sisters like, too. When all three of us read the same book, it's very unusual. Hope you get to it eventually.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Gorgeous cover! I love mysteries set in small towns, of course. So much fun!

Yes, the Cabot Cove syndrome is always there, but there are road trips...or maybe some really wicked out of town people could come to town. :) Works well for MC Beaton in the Hamish series...seems all the outsiders get killed!

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Lesa said...

But, here's my question, Elizabeth. As soon as an outsider gets to town in a Hamish series, do you know they're going to be the victim?

I love the covers of Connolly's books. And, like you, I love small town mysteries.

Kay said...

I love these orchard mysteries. I'm looking forward to reading this one. Thanks for the highlight, Lesa!

Clea Simon said...

Always fun to read about one of Sheila's books.

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Kay. I really like these books, too.

Lesa said...

Ah, Clea. You're back. I have an address to send you today.

Ingrid King said...

This sounds like a great series - adding it to my list. And I want that house!

Bev Stephans said...

I really can't put another book in my TBR pile, but this series sounds "delicious"! I think I'll try one.

Tribute Books said...

Like the cover,would love to read it.Thanks!

Lesa said...

Isn't that house gorgeous, Ingrid? It's turned into a restaurant in this book. But, it's a gorgeous house! I really like this series.

Lesa said...

It's a paperback, Bev. Can you squeeze one more paperback into that TBR pile? Can I tempt you with an apple?

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Tribute Books. I love the cover, too.

Maria said...

That cover is gorgeous! I like it a lot!

maria

Lesa said...

Isn't it gorgeous, Maria? Reaches out and grabs you, doesn't it?

kathy d. said...

Wow! What a cover! I want to be on the lawn or sitting on the porch perhaps somewhere in Vermont.

Lesa said...

Doesn't that cover just grab you,Kathy? And Sheila Connolly's book lives up to the cover. Or, maybe I should say the cover lives up to her book.