Wednesday, March 31, 2010

May Treasures in My Closet

It's hard to believe it's already the end of the month, and time to talk about the May book releases. I only have nine May titles in my closet at the moment, but it might give me a chance to catch up with the two dozen April books that are there. There are some hot titles in this stack, so make sure you get them ordered from your favorite bookstore, or placed on reserve at your local library.

You can't kick off May any better than with a new Jack Reacher novel. Lee Child's latest book is 61 Hours (Delacorte Press). A bus accident in a blizzard strands Reacher in Bolton, South Dakota, landing him in a deadly confrontation. I've read terrific reviews about this thriller, a story that gives Reacher only sixty-one hours for a final showdown.

In the fall of 1941, American journalist John Russell is living inside Nazi-occupied Berlin. In David Downing's Stettin Station (Soho Press), he's working as a contact between an anti-Nazi German intelligence organization, and American intelligence. Even as he investigates the disappearance of Berlin Jews, he's trying to find a way out of Germany.

In Barbara Fister's Through the Cracks (St. Martin's Minotaur), PI Anni Koskinen's investigation of a serial rapist uncovers a connection to Chicago politics. How can a politically ambitious Attorney's prosecution of a rape case twenty years earlier tie in with a missing woman?

May marks the return of one of my favorite authors, with a new publisher. Chris Grabenstein brings John Ceepak and Danny Boyle back to the Jersey shore in Rolling Thunder (Pegasus Books). A prominent citizen suffers a heart attack on opening day of a brand new roller coaster. But, suspicions of foul play bring Ceepak and Boyle into the case.

Petra Hammesfahr's The Lie (Bitter Lemon Press) is considered one of Germany's best psychological suspense novels. It topped the bestseller lists for fifteen months, and now it's available in English, translated by Mike Mitchell. Two women who look uncannily alike begin a deadly game, as wealthy Nadia asks Susanne to spend the weekend with her husband, so she can sneak off with a lover. And, one weekend leads to a web of lies.

Ned Kelly Award winner Adrian Hyland brings us a character and setting most of us are unfamiliar with in Gunshot Road (Soho Press). Emily Tempest is half-white, half-Aboriginal, a woman who left home to get an education, and returned to the area where she grew up. Appointed Aboriginal Community Police Officer, she investigates the murder of an elderly geologist, while dealing with her racially mixed community.

Diana Janes' debut novel, The Pull of the Moon (Soho Constable) is described as a "fast-paced mystery that switches seamlessly from past to present, weaving the story of a deadly summer home and the woman who never told its thirty-year-old secret." Kate Mayfield has long been haunted by a summer and a vanished girl, but the request to return to that summer home means her secret may finally be revealed.

Stefanie Pintoff has been nominated for an Edgar Award for her debut novel, In the Shadow of Gotham. Her follow-up novel is A Curtain Falls (St. Martin's Minotaur). Detective Simon Ziele fled New York City after the death of his fiancé in the General Slocum ferry disaster. But, his former partner, Captain Declan Mulvaney needs his assistance when it seems there is a serial killer attacking New York chorus girls. Is there a monster loose in turn-of-the-century New York?

Olen Steinhauer brings back reluctant spy Milo Weaver in The Nearest Exit (St. Martin's Minotaur). When Milo is forced to turn back to his old job as a "tourist," he must prove his loyalty. How dangerous is a man caught between foes, patriots and traitors, life and death?

There are only nine May book releases in my closet at the moment. But, there are some excellent selections among them. I hope you find something to entice you into a book.

12 comments:

Jen Forbus said...

Of course this time I have biased reasons for being excited about the next Ceepak, but that's o.k., because I'm always excited for Ceepak...so it really isn't any different!

I'm also excited for SO COLD THE RIVER which will mark Michael Koryta's debut with Little Brown as his publisher. I've had the book since October, but other commitments have prevented me from reading it. Now by God, I need to read this one! LOL

This is always such a fun post Lesa! Thanks!!

Lesa said...

Thank you, Jen. I haven't read the new Ceepak yet, although I've had it for a while. Can't wait to discover "your" part in this book!

Thanks for mentioning Michael Koryta's new book. That's not a title that makes my column today or tomorrow.

You're welcome, Jen! Thank you.

Kay said...

May will be a great month. There are several here I would like to try, not the least of which is Chris Grabenstein's Rolling Thunder. Yea, Ceepak! Thanks for always keeping us on top of our game, Lesa!

Lesa said...

You know how much I enjoy updating the book lists, Kay. Definitely my pleasure!

Lori's Reading Corner said...

61 Hours is sitting here very patiently waiting for me to start reading it. I can't wait to dive in :)

Lesa said...

It's sitting on my shelf, staring at me as well, Lori. I'll wait until May, though.

kathy d. said...

Thank you so much for this list of May releases.

I had forgotten to check this website just because there are so many to keep up with now, and the blogs, but I have to remind myself as the recommendations are excellent as are the short summaries.

Must write them down and pass them on to friends who read.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Kathy! Despite all of the other blogs out there, I'm glad you came back to mine for recommendations. I appreciate it!

Levinson Axelrod said...

Great recommendations and overviews of these books. Very interesting stories. Thanks a lot for sharing your opinion.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Levinson. These are just previews. We'll see how the books actually are, when I get around to reading them.

kathy d. said...

Want to say that I went to Jen's blog and then came here and re-looked at this May list. You must have some interesting closet!

Again, find more books but was kind of blown away by how beautiful is the cover of "A Curtain Falls."

Where can I find previous lists you've put together of monthly book publications--on your blog?

I want to go backwards and see what you have posted.

Thanks again for a lovely and lively blog.

Lesa said...

What a treat to read your comments, Kathy! Thank you for the comment about the blog. If you put Treasures in My Closet in the search box at the top of the blog, it will take you to each month's posting. I've been doing them monthly for a while, calling them that.

I'll have to go to Jen's blog and see what it says today. Thanks!