Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Library Blog Awards

Lesa's Book Critiques has been nominated for The Library Blog Awards. This is what it says on the website for Salem Press.


"As you are probably aware, blogs about libraries have spread across the web. There are (literally) hundreds of people writing about books, libraries, librarians and related subjects. If you count the blogs that come from specific institutions, spreading local news, there are thousands of the things. Some are funny. Some are brilliant. Others, aren't.

"Salem Press' staff includes many fans of library blogs. We're entertained and enlightened by them. So, we've decided to recognize the best efforts in the field. Not only to praise the praise-worthy but also to publicize the good stuff. To that end, we're hosting something we call the Library Blog Awards. We think there should be a well-organized directory of library blogs and a "peoples' awards" program of some kind to let folks know what blogs are best-liked and most widely read.

"So Salem Press is going to host the Library Blog Awards. Complete with cash prizes. These awards won't be at Salem's whim. (Well, not solely at Salem's whim. We are represented on this panel by Peter Tobey, a publisher, editor and author who now works at Salem Press.) We've also enlisted some terrific judges from other walks of life:

"The Editor Judge: Mirela Roncevic, Editor-in-Chief of IGI Global's forthcoming Advances in Library Information Science book series. Prior to her current position, Mirela was Senior Editor at Library Journal, where she directed the magazine's coverage of print and electronic reference sources, managed arts, literature, and philosophy reviews, and wrote extensively on the state of online publishing and librarianship.

"The Public Library Judge: Barry Miller, Acquisitions librarian at Austin Public Library, a frequent contributor and reviewer for Library Journal, and one of the best writers in the library world.

"The Academic Library Judge: Brian Coutts is head of the Department of Library Public Services at Western Kentucky University in Bowling Green. He's co-author of three reference books and a contributor to several others. No stranger to the judging business, Brian has selected the "Best Reference Sources of the Year" for Library Journal for more than two decades. He chairs the Resources for College Libraries Editorial Board and serves on the ACRL Publications Coordinating Committee.

"The Academic School Library Judge: Caroline Geck, a school librarian at Peshine Avenue Preparatory School in Newark, New Jersey. Caroline is a frequent reviewer in a variety of categories for both Library Journal and School Library Journal.

But we'll go beyond an annual celebration and related hoopla. We will also build a website that monitors library blogs and updates folks on especially interesting thoughts and news. You'll be able to scan the gist of several recent posts and then drill down to the blogs themselves."

My notification of this nomination said, "Congratulations. Your blog has been nominated for a Library Blog Award by readers of it. You should be thrilled so many think so much of what you have to say. You are among a number of nominees that our judges will consider. Best of luck to you. We hope that our awards will publicize the most interesting, entertaining and provocative library blogs out there."

What an honor to be nominated! This is an award I don't expect to win, because my blog isn't really about libraries. It's about books. I originally started it to share my excitement about books and reading with other readers who equally enjoyed books. I think we do share our enthusiasm here, and I thank everyone who takes time to read or comment. We're all in this wonderful world of books together.

So, thank you to whoever nominated me. Let's continue to share that love of books!

27 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

But Lesa, what makes a library if not it's books and the readers of those books. Your blog definitely should be a winner. Your blog is a tribute to what libraries are all about.

You encourage people to read, you entertain them with books to provoke their imagination, you share new authors and books to spark a interest to read, and you inform readers and authors of what the literary world has to offer. Congratulations on the nomination and best of luck.

Bev Stephans said...

Your blog is entertaining and informative. You deserve to win!

Mary said...

Congratulations, Lesa. You've introduced me to many good books and authors!

Pat R. said...

Best of luck - you deserve recognition for your hard work.

bermudaonion said...

Congratulations, Lesa! I can certainly see why your blog was nominated - it's fantastic!

Naomi Johnson said...

If they let me judge you'd already have the award. Good luck!

Maria said...

Books = Libraries as someone else said. :>) I don't care if you win or not, you're still the best blog out there--on books and libraries!!! You're so supportive of authors, reading, education and books. A winner every time!!!

Maria

Janet Rudolph said...

Woo-hoo. Congratulations on the Nomination. Very well deserved.

Cleo Coyle said...

Fantastic news and (echoing Janet) very well deserved!

FYI – I am thoroughly enjoying Fat Cat at the moment, a YA novel that I would not have known about if it had not been for your thoughtful recommendation. :-)

~Cleo

Meen said...

Congratulations on a well deserved nomination, Lesa. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Dru said...

Congratulations!

Kay said...

Congratulations Lesa! No on deserves this more. You may not have started this blog to talk about libraries, but you spread the word about your own library through your Authors at the Teague, you give readers early notice of books that will be coming to their libraries, you defend libraries through this tough time of funding. Just all sorts of things. And.....you are the best librarian that I know!!

P.S. I know the Public Library Judge. Sorry I don't work for APL anymore so I could put in a good word. :-)

Keep us up to date and let us know when the website is up. It sounds like one I would want to bookmark.

Lesa said...

Oh, you guys! Thank you, everyone. You brought tears to my eyes, starting with Mason's comments. While I was out with a friend (who did buy that adorable Yorkie puppy), you were defending my nomination. Thank you. I guess I never thought of it in the same way you did. I think of it as sharing books with a bunch of friends. And, you've all become friends over the last five years. Thanks!

Marlyn said...

Congrats on the nom, Lesa! Good luck!

Lesa said...

Thank you, Marlyn! I'm not counting on anything, but it sure is nice to be nominated, and to have all of you cheering for me.

Beth Hoffman said...

This is simply wonderful, Lesa. Congratulations on the much earned nomination!

Lesa said...

Thank you, Beth! Are you home from NC, or on your way there? I hope you're home, tucked in with your cats!

Ingrid King said...

Congratulations, Lesa! Your blog has introduced me to so many wonderful books and authors and fellow readers. I especially like that your reviews make me pick up books in genres that I might otherwise not have considered.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Ingrid. That's me, a book pusher. I'm glad my blog has introduced you to books that you might not have tried. Thank you.

Beth Hoffman said...

Lesa, I'm on my way to NC. And just think, June is right around the corner ... I can't wait to meet you in person!

Lesa said...

I can't wait to meet you, either, Beth! This is going to be so much fun! (And, I'm looking forward to meeting your husband as well!)

Kris said...

Congrats and good luck!

Lesa said...

Thank you, Kris!

Les said...

How exciting! And so well-deserved. You have pointed me in the direction of some very good books. Love your blog, Lesa!

Lesa said...

Les,

There's nothing I like better than being a book enabler. Thank you!

Tina said...

Couldn't have happened to a nicer person or a better blog. Thanks so much for all the encouragement you give to fellow librarian/blogger/readers.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Tina!

It wouldn't be any fun out here in the blog world without the librarians, book bloggers, and readers! I love reading what they have to say.