Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Guest Blogger - Diane Fanning


Today, it's my pleasure to welcome Diane Fanning as guest blogger. She might not be the person you think she is. I'll let Diane tell you about herself. Thank you, Diane.

*****

MISTAKEN IDENTITY is the name of my just released book but it also could be something you’d call me if you did a Google search of Diane Fanning. You’d find links to Diane Fanning, the True Crime writer. Yes, that’s me, I have had ten books in that genre published by St. Martin’s Press.

You’d also find links to Diane Fanning, fiction writer. That’s me, too. MISTAKEN IDENTITY is my third book in my mystery series featuring a Virginia-based Homicide Detective. And for my local Texas readers, it’s the book that takes the detective on a fact-finding trip to the Lone Star state.

Google will take you to a number of other places that are not me—like many links to news stories about a rude Diane Fanning in North Carolina, a travel site with a comment about a cruise from a woman with my name who is married to a guy named Jim, and a language arts teacher in the Houston area.

So who am I? I’ve been a waitress, a veterinary assistant and a 9-year-old girl who barely escaped a stranger abduction. I’ve worked in radio, television, an advertising agency and non-profit organizations. Right now, I am a full-time crime writer—authoring books in both fiction and non-fiction.

I am best known for my True Crime books—being a finalist for an Edgar Award certainly helped there. And I continue to write in that genre—my latest being a book about the Caylee Anthony story titled MOMMY’S LITTLE GIRL. My current non-fiction project is a book about Raynella Dossett Leath. She claimed her first husband, the Knox County Attorney General, was killed in a cattle stampede. She said her second husband committed suicide. She has been found guilty of the murder of hubby #2 and is now facing a trial in the death of her first spouse.

But, I also write fiction. My current writing obsession here is the troubled detective, Lucinda Pierce. Like many people involved in the world of crime in real life, Lucinda’s world is filled with dark passages, that propelled her into a career in law enforcement. As a teenager, she watched her father shoot her mother and then committed suicide. As a police officer, she suffered facial disfigurement from a shotgun blast while on a domestic violence call.

In a synchronicity I didn’t notice until after the fact, my first two True Crime books were about serial killers as were my first two Lucinda books. With my non-fiction, I shifted to a more personal crime in the third book as I did with MISTAKEN IDENTITY. In this novel, clues are contradictory, motivation obscured by lies and the hidden secrets are bizarre. It follows Lucinda as she unravels the complexities of a double murder that reveals the depth of childhood scars and the costs of irresponsible parenting.

If you’d like to get a taste of this book and a feel for my style, you can read the first chapter on my website. In fact, if you go to the Reading Room page, you can click a cover and read an excerpt from any one of my books. Other places you’ll find me are on my personal blog, Writing Is A Crime; and on a cooperative blog, Women in Crime Ink.

*****

Thank you, Diane, for taking time for the guest blog. Check out the book trailer for Mistaken Identity.




Mistaken Identity by Diane Fanning. Severn House, ©2010. ISBN 9780727868664 (hardcover0, 224p.

14 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Lesa, thanks for hosting Diane today!

Diane, at least you're the first Diane Fanning on Google! I think I've finally got more hits than the biology prof and the cookbook writer. :)

Chilling that you barely escaped a stranger abduction. I'm sure that event had an affect on your writing, too.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Lesa said...

Elizabeth,

I enjoyed Diane's guest blog. I hope she'll be stopping by during the day to answer questions, and comments. Thanks!

Diane Fanning said...

Elizabeth,
My experience with an attempted abduction fueled my interest in criminal psychology. From the beginning, I wanted to know why he would do what he did and why he chose me as a potential victim.

Lesa,
I'll be delighted to answer any questions and respond to comments throughout the day.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Diane! I appreciate the time you took to do the guest blog. And, thanks for stopping by throughout the day.

Pat R. said...

I very much enjoyed reading about the many hats you wear. I will go to your website and get a taste of your work.

Diane Fanning said...

Thanks, Pat. Readers feedback is always welcome. If you have any questions, just let me know.

Nikki Thornton said...

Liked your post. Someday I hope to write a book where the royalties will pay for the copies I give away.
:-)
Nikki

Lesa said...

Oh, that's good, Nikki. And, just think about me. I don't even write books, and they want me to send them all over the world. No tax deduction here. (grin)

Diane Fanning said...

Being a writer is a lot less lucrative than most people think, isn't it, Nikki.
And as you said, Lesa, for reviewers it can be even worse.

Kay said...

Diane, I really enjoyed your post. You hooked me with the Lone Star location. Where in Texas does Lucinda travel? I'll be on the lookout for this one. It sounds like it would suit me just fine.

Lesa, thanks for hosting such interesting people (even if Diane's not a rude, cruise-taking wife of Jim!).

Diane Fanning said...

LOL, Kay. I am, however, willing to take a cruise with my husband.
Lucinda flies into San Antonio and drives her rental car out to New Braunfels to hunt for a person of interest.

Kay said...

Thanks for the Texas answer, Diane. New Braunfels is great. I'm in Austin and we've spent many hours ferrying teenagers to Schlitterbahn, a great waterpark there. I'll definitely be on the lookout for Missing Identity.

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Kay! I always enjoy hosting the authors, and discovering new books. I know you enjoy the discoveries as well!

And, thank you again, Diane, for spending the day with us.

Diane Fanning said...

Thank you for this opportunity to interact with your readers, Lesa.