Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen

There's something about Sarah Addison Allen's novels that draws me right in. It might be the magical characters. The small towns are unusual, secretive places. I know the beautiful turn of phrase doesn't hurt. It might be the happy endings. And, the gorgeous covers on these books don't hurt. Her debut novel, Garden Spells, was wonderful. The Sugar Queen included the same magical qualities, although it couldn't beat that first book, in my opinion. But, The Girl Who Chased the Moon is another stellar story by an author who has become a favorite.

When Emily Benedict showed up at her grandfather's door in Mullaby, North Carolina, she knew nothing about him, or the unusual town. But, her mother had died, and Emily went to her only living relative. She didn't know her grandfather was known as "The Giant of Mullaby." She didn't know her mother's story, that the town shunned her for her own actions as a teenager. And, she didn't know that the Mullaby lights, and a few people, would change her life, and their own.

It wasn't long before Julia Winterson, owner of a barbecue joint, and a master of baking cakes, took Emily under her wing. Julia had been a troubled teen, and she recognized someone in need. She didn't want to recognize her own need for Sawyer Alexander. Sawyer was kind, and represented the best of Southern gentility, but, "Staring at an Alexander man too long was like staring at the sun."

But it was Win Coffey's friendship with Emily that shocked the town, and his family. Win Coffey knew the story of the relationship between his uncle and Emily's mother, but it would take courage to tell Emily that story.

Magic and giants, mysterious lights, romance and secrets. Only Sarah Addison Allen can bring them together in a believable story. And, the town of Mullaby, and its people, certainly have their secrets. There are powerful secrets that can destroy souls, or, when shared and revealed, can enchant and bring love. Allen is slow to reveal them in this delicious, heady novel, The Girl Who Chased the Moon.

Sarah Addison Allen's website is www.sarahaddisonallen.com

The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen. Bantam Books, ©2010. ISBN 9780553807219 (hardcover), 288p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure: Library book

16 comments:

Mary said...

I loved this book! Sounds like you did too :)

Lesa said...

Definitely loved it, Mary! Recommended it to my sister.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Okay, I've GOT to read this one. A touch of mystery? NC setting? A little magic? I'm there...

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Lesa said...

You do have to read Sarah Addison Allen's latest. And, let me know what you think!

Pat R. said...

I read Garden Spells and thought it was such a "feel good" book. I missed book number two for some reason but I just won The Girl Who Chased The Moon and can't wait to read it.

Vivienne said...

I can't wait for this one to come out in England. I love her books so much.

Lesa said...

Pat,

I hope you enjoy The Girl Who Chased the Moon as much as Garden Spells. It's very good.

Lesa said...

I'm with you, Vivienne. I start these books liking the cover, and then I hope they live up to the previous books.

Cynde L. Hammond said...

Sounds like a great book. I'll have to add it to my wish list. Great review, Lesa!

By the way...I have given you an award. Come to my blog and check it out!

*Hugs*
Cynde
Cynde's Got The Write Stuff


P.S. Be sure to watch for my next postings:
1. A contest for a free, autographed copy of Mary Cunningham's "Cynthia's Attic: The Magician's Castle"
2. My reviews of Mary Cunningham's books, (both from the "Cynthia's Attic Series") "Curse of the Bayou" and "The Magician's Castle"
and...
3. My guest author interview with the author of the "Cynthia's Attic Series", Mary Cunningham!

DON'T MISS ANY OF THESE EXCITING POSTS, OK? :o)

Lesa said...

Thank you, Cynde! And, I'll be over to check out the award!

Thanks for mentioning the contest and connections to the "Cynthia's Attic Series."

Ingrid King said...

This sounds wonderful, and the cover is lovely.

Lesa said...

It is magical, and wonderful, Ingrid. I hope you get a chance to pick it up.

bermudaonion said...

I really want to read this book and probably would have bought it today if I'd been near a bookstore.

Lesa said...

Oh, good! We talked you into it, Kathy. Or, was it already on your radar?

Tricia said...

I've got this one sitting on my nightstand from the library. It's next up!

Lesa said...

Very good, Tricia! And, what are you reading right now?