Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Shot to Death by Stephen D. Rogers

There are some times in life when a collection of short stories is perfect. Stephen D. Rogers' Shot to Death is an unusual crime fiction collection, so it was just what I needed this week, something intriguing enough to capture my attention, but a book I could pick up and put down.

In fact, Rogers, himself, recommends that readers read Shot to Death in bits and pieces. In his introduction, he says, "If you can, try not to read this book all in one sitting. I don't want to leave you riddled by riddles and murder and mayhem. Instead, pause at the given breaks and reflect on the implications of what happened."

Shot to Death is a collection of "31 Stories of Nefarious New England." Even better, it's a collection of stories with a twist. These are unusual stories that remind me of O. Henry's tales. There are private eyes, criminals, and hitmen. There's a five-page story in which a woman shops for a hitman at the grocery store. There are nice guy detectives, and some who are not exactly on-the-level.

If you enjoy crime short stories with a twist, try Stephen D. Rogers' Shot to Death, an escape from reality, into the "back alleys and back yards of New England."

Stephen D. Rogers' website is www.stephendrogers.com

Shot to Death by Stephen D. Rogers. Mainly Murder Press, ©2010. ISBN 9780982589908 (paperback), 270p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure: I received my review copy from the author, in hopes I would review it.

11 comments:

Michele Emrath said...

I am very sorry for your loss. I don't know how you go on, but it you are an inspiration, as it sounds your husband was as well.

This books sounds fantastic. I love the author's directo note to the readers. I will definitely check it out! Thank you.

Michele
SouthernCityMysteries

Lesa said...

Thank you, Michele. I appreciate every note of sympathy. They mean a great deal to me.

How do I go on? One step at a time. And, that's how Jim would have wanted it. He wanted humor to the end. And, he knew my mother had been through this herself, losing my father when she was only 54. Yes, she had three daughters, but we were all adults, with our own jobs, who also went back to work the next week. My mother did, too, and she said it's the best thing to do - go back to your routine. So, I did.

I liked the author's note as well. That's why I included it.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

A routine can be a wonderful thing, can't it? I really hope it helps you.

As for the book? I'm all over it! Sometimes when I'm really, really pinched for time (and I have been the last few weeks), I'll pick up a book of short stories. This sounds perfect! The mention of O'Henry pulled me in... :)

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Mason Canyon said...

The book sounds like something I'd enjoy, especially being able to pick it up read a little and then return to it later. I'll have to add this one to my wish list.

Words fail me this morning, so I'll just say hope you're taking care of yourself and glad to see you.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Elizabeth. I do have a routine right now that will take me through the next few weeks. Then, friends invited me to go with them to the Tucson Festival of the Book the second weekend in March. That will help, too. I'll get there.

I loved O. Henry stories! And, these endings reminded me of those.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Mason. I am taking care of myself - eating fine, and sleeping great. Those are the 2 things everyone worried about. I'll be OK.

bermudaonion said...

This does sound like the perfect book when it's hard to concentrate for too long. You've been in my thoughts and prayers.

Clea Simon said...

Of course, you will be OK! But I am glad you are taking care of yourself. You know that's what Jim wanted for you. And part of taking care of yourself is continuing to enjoy books - and knowing that short stories are what you are up to, now. Maybe this will be an opportunity to discover other wonderful collections and share them with us?

Thinking of you.

Lesa said...

Kathy & Clea,

Thank you very much for all of your notes and support in the last couple weeks. I appreciate the support, and the friendship most of all. Thank you, and hugs.

Inside A Book said...

With my schedule lately this sounds like the perfect companion! I was interested that you are going to the Tucson Festival. So are we!! I loved it last year and I'm quite frankly chomping at the bit - - Spring Break AND books! Maybe we'll run into each other.

Wishing you peace, calm and comfart!

Lesa said...

I hope we do run into each other. I'm looking forward to the weekend. I didn't go last year, but I've heard terrific things about the festival.