Thursday, February 25, 2010

Shield of Duty by Scarlett Dean

If you like your police procedurals with a paranormal element, check out the Frost Sisters mysteries by Scarlett Dean. The sisters were introduced in Invisible Shield, the story of the murder of homicide detective Lindsay Frost. With the help of her sister, Kate, she solved that murder. But, Lindsay can't move on. Both sisters have a Shield of Duty, as shown in the second book.

Kate's now a homicide detective in the same police force in Southfield Heights, Indiana. She's dating her partner, but takes a skiing vacation with friends one weekend. The return home is disrupted by a blizzard, and a murder. And, Kate has to show she's a detective first, not a vacationing friend. Fortunately, she has Lindsay to help.

Logically, Lindsay should have been able to move on after solving her own murder, since a spirit moves on when unresolved issues are resolved. But, Lindsay still has her detective badge as a death tag. Now, she finds she wants to help her sister, but she's also able to help other spirits with their own cases. Once a detective, always a detective, even in the afterlife.

There's a minor problem with repetition at the beginning of the book, but my copy was an advanced reader's copy, and that might have been resolved in the final edition. However, that's a minor flaw in an otherwise intriguing mystery. It's interesting to watch both sisters grow in their own confidence in their abilities, no matter what world they're in. There's humor, as well as the relationship between sisters. But, don't think sisters, a spirit, and humor equal a cute mystery. Scarlett Dean has written another gritty mystery, a police procedural with characters that can solve crimes in any world, this life, or the next. Shield of Duty shows that the Frost sisters are never off duty.

Scarlett Dean's website is www.scarlettdean.com

Shield of Duty by Scarlett Dean. Five Star, ©2010. ISBN 978-1594148552 (hardcover), 278p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - The author sent me this review copy, hoping I would review it.

10 comments:

Michele Emrath said...

Did you read the first book? Does this one stand on its own? Thanks for the review!

Michele
SouthernCityMysteries

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Looks good, Lesa! And a book with a blizzard in it should sell well now. :) Certainly current!

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Kris said...

You had me at the beginning when you mentioned paranormal. I'm adding the first to my wish list.

(on a funny note..the word verication for me is stless....which is funny because I live in STL (st. louis))

Lesa said...

Hi Michele,

I did read the first one. This one does stand on it's own. But, if you have the chance to pick the first one up, and see how the she solves her own murder, it's very interesting.

Lesa said...

Elizabeth,

I know the paranormal isn't normally your thing. But, it's really a police procedural, and one of the detectives just happens to be dead.

Lesa said...

I like that, Kris. Isn't it interesting when the word verification looks like it was meant for us?

I hope you get the book from your wish list! In fact, keep an eye on my contests. It's not up this week, but it may be up in a few weeks.

le0pard13 said...

As usual, great post, Lesa. But, let me be the first to give you congratulation for being selected as one of the 50 Best Blogs for Crime & Mystery Book Lovers! Well deserved.

Kay said...

This one sounds fun and happily, I've just discovered that the first book is available at my library. I wanted to go by there tomorrow anyway. Thanks for the info!

Lesa said...

You are the first one to congratulate me, Michael. Even my mother didn't know! Thank you.

Lesa said...

Oh, Kay. Enjoy it. And, thank you. There is a BIG thank you heading its way to you. I'm just a little behind with them. I know no one expects them immediately, but I'll get it out as soon as I can. Thank you.