Friday, February 26, 2010

Memorials and Awards

This is an odd combination for a blog, but I have something else planned for Sunday, so this won't go under Sunday Tidbits. But, I did want to acknowledge some memorials in honor of Jim, and also some awards I received. Since Jim would be equally pleased with both, I'm combining them in this blog.

You don't know how humbled I've been by the number of comments, notes and memorials, from around the world in honor of Jim. There are books being given to libraries from Anchorage, Alaska to Great Britain, and, possibly, Ireland. One of his online friends, who I didn't know, ran an eBay auction to raise money for the Library for the Blind in the U.K. Libraries in a number of small towns in Ohio have received donations, money for books, or books on the U.S. Presidency. One friend in Lee County gave in his memory to the Reading Festival. One of my friends gave to the Velma Teague Library, where I work, and to the library where she lives as well. Thank you to all of my friends in the Glendale Library System, and the Lee County Library System in Florida. And, I've read beautiful comments from Jim's friends on RootZoo and FanIQ, as well as his friends from Ohio, Florida and Arizona. Thank you to every one of you for your kindness.

Since a number of donations were given to the Velma Teague Library, I wanted to mention some of the books I'm purchasing, keeping Jim's interests in mind. A friend gave The Rough Guide to Crime Fiction. One friend gave money specifically for thrillers and mysteries. I hope she'll be pleased to know I've ordered books by some of Jim's favorite authors, such as Lee Child, John Grisham, and Erica Spindler, among others. It was a pleasure to order Lee Child's 61 Hours and Cornelia Read's Invisible Boy, since we were at the Poisoned Pen when Lee introduced a new author, Cornelia.







I've ordered books on the Kennedys, one of Jim's passions. And, of course, I ordered a number of baseball books. He loved baseball history, the Tigers, the Dodgers, and I'm getting books on all of those subjects. But, I can't wait to read the book that seems the most appropriate, The Baseball Fan's Bucket List by Robert Santelli. Jim would like that one, particularly since we started our married life by honeymooning in Cooperstown and visiting the Baseball Hall of Fame. Do you think a honeymoon in Cooperstown is on that bucket list?




I still have a number of books to order, but I have to share one more title with you. If you knew Jim well, you know he thought he was the original hippie. So, I'm getting an appropriate book, Orange Sunshine by Nicholas Schour. Jim, who referred
to himself as Hippie Dippie Jim when he dressed the part, would appreciate the book. Probably his biggest regret was that he missed Woodstock, but he never missed a chance to watch or read about it.

I spent the afternoon working on a book list. It gave me a chance to remember Jim, and his interests, with pleasure. Thank you to everyone who has shared his life, his memories, and his passions.

*****
I was off-track for most of February, so I haven't had a chance to acknowledge some honors and awards. I was so pleased to receive a notification from Judy Starbuck from the Desert Sleuths, the Arizona Chapter of Sisters in Crime. Judy said, "The Desert Sleuths chapter has selected you to be our very first Guest of Honor for Write Now V! The conference...will be held on August 14 at the Stonecreek Country Club. We have a fabulous group of speakers and each year the conference seems to get bigger and more exciting. We would like to acknowledge your contributions to the book community, both local and national. Your website allow us to attend author talks through your thorough descriptions on Lesa's Book Critiques. You also introduce new books and authors on DorothyL and support the community with signings at Velma Teague." I'm looking forward to the conference. Thank you to all of those wonderful members of Desert Sleuths!

Just a couple days ago, Lesa's Book Critiques was named by the Court Reporter blog as one of the 50 Best Blogs for Crime & Mystery Book Lovers. Thank you!

And, a final honor. Love this one! GalleyCat Reviews named me one of the Best Book Reviewers on Twitter! They said, "Twitter has become a new home for book reviewers, as they share recommendations, spread links, and review books in 140-character bursts. To celebrate this new kind of criticism, GalleyCat Reviews is building a directory of the best book review content on Twitter.

We've collected these writers in a handy Twitter list, but after the jump, you can explore our growing collection of reviewers--they are listed alphabetically with links to each feed."

*****
Jim and I shared a passion for books and authors. He pushed me to continue to do better with my blog, and with Twitter. Thank you to everyone who has acknowledged that shared love of books, with your gifts, your awards, and your honors. I'm very grateful.

21 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Congratulations on your awards and honors, Lesa! They're well-deserved.

And I can't think of a better tribute to Jim than buying books that he would have enjoyed for the library...to give others an opportunity to enjoy the same books.

Elizabeth

Lesa said...

Thank you, Elizabeth. And, this provided one more venue to share Jim's favorite subjects, and his love of books.

Jen Forbus said...

Oh this is so wonderful, it just warms my heart to know that when you give so much of yourself in this lifetime, it will continue to live on. That's what Jim's doing, Lesa!

And congrats on all your well-deserved awards!! :)

Mason Canyon said...

Congratulations on the awards and honors, well deserved. The books are a wonderful tribute to Jim that his love of books inspires others to share.

bermudaonion said...

It's so nice to see that so many wonderful books are being purchased in Jim's honor - what a wonderful tribute to him.

Congratulations on your awards!

Lesa said...

Thank you, Jen. That's what I thought - there are books all over in honor of Jim's memories, and his interests.

Thank you.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Mason and Kathy. I did want to honor Jim. And, he would be just as pleased with the awards.

Meen said...

Lesa, congratulations on all your well deserved awards. Your blog is the best and a huge help to me when I recommend books to be ordered for our library and these awards prove that I'm not the only one who finds it so valuable.
And I'm delighted to hear about all the books donated to honour Jim.
The Irish contribution is still a work in process. We don't have that custom here, so I'll have to find a chance for a private chat with the county librarian to see what I can arrange. I'll keep you updated on how that goes and what book I decide to donate. All I know right now that it has to be one by an author that's not on our standing order list as well as something that falls into one of the categories Jim enjoyed. This is definitely to be continued...

Lesa said...

Ah, Maureen. I know I never told you that Jim's great-grandmother was Mary Egan from County Cork. He was always so proud of his Irish connections. I'll be waiting for the continuing saga...

Ingrid King said...

Congratulations on the awards and honors!

I love how Jim's legacy continues with all the donations and books. I can only imagine how emotional it must have been for you to order those books for your own library in memory of Jim. You are an inspiration for others who are dealing with the loss of a loved one.

Lesa said...

Actually, Ingrid, it was very satisfying to order those books. Jim would have read and enjoyed them, and that made me feel good. I hope other readers enjoy them as well.

Thank you.

Kris said...

Congratulations on the awards! You deserve them. I also enjoyed learning a bit more about Jim and the books you selected with the donations, I'm sure he's smiling about the books.

Kay said...

I am so pleased that people are giving to their libraries and your libary. Just lovely. Libraries are hurting right now and can use every dollar they can get. Just think, Lesa, Jim's (and your's) influence is being spread all over the world. How wonderful.

Congrats on your awards as well. We know you are great, but maybe a few more people will stop by and find out for themselves. Hugs to you, Lesa!!

Lesa said...

Thank you, Kris. It gave me one more chance to talk about Jim's interests. And, maybe it will remind people to keep their libraries in mind when it comes to future donations!

Lesa said...

Kay,

You've given me as many hugs as you can from Austin, and I appreciate every thoughtful gift. I am so pleased, and touched, that Jim's interest in books will touch libraries throughout the world. Isn't that a marvelous gift to give? Thank you!

Bonnie said...

How wonderful that so many have given gifts of book to honor Jim. It sounds like the perfect way remember him.

Congratulations on all of your well deserved awards Lesa!

Lesa said...

Thank you, Bonnie. I appreciate the awards. But, I really appreciate the books that will keep Jim's memory alive worldwide.

Beth Hoffman said...

How lovely that so many books (all across the globe) are being purchased in Jim's honor. He would be so pleased!

Congratulations to you, Lesa, for the awards -- all of them deserved!

Lesa said...

Thank you, Beth. I'm so pleased that books are being purchased in Jim's memory, in libraries all over the world. He would be pleased to know that.

Pat Browning said...

Lesa,

I so enjoyed your comments about Jim and I absolutely love his hippie-dippie photo! What fun you two must have had over the years of your marriage! I also enjoyed learning which books you picked in his honor.

Hugs and warm wishes,
Pat Browning

Lesa said...

Thank you, Pat! I thought people might enjoy that hippie-dippie picture. Jim always had fun with it. Jim always promised me that marriage to him would not be boring! Thank you for the hugs!