Monday, February 01, 2010

March's Hot Titles

March is going to be such a terrific month for books that I propose we all take the month off and just read. How can any reader resist a month that includes books by Alafair Burke, Harlan Coben, Linda Fairstein and Alan Bradley? And, wait until you read about the other authors with forthcoming books! March looks terrific for readers.

Let's start with a book that isn't a crime novel. I've been a fan of Sarah Addison Allen's books since Garden Spells came out. The Girl Who Chased the Moon takes a seventeen-year-old, Emily Benedict, to live with her grandfather in an unusual little town, Mullaby, NC. How unusual is it? Wallpaper can change its pattern, the dead left messages, and the legend of a ghostly woman banished from the town lives on. It's sure to be another magical story from Allen.



The Last Illusion is the latest Molly Murphy mystery by Rhys Bowen. Molly is hired as Harry Houdini's bodyguard when another magician accuses him of tampering with his equipment, resulting in a death.

Last year, Alan Bradley's debut novel, The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, introduced Flavia de Luce. The scientific prodigy returns in The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag. When a master puppeteer ends up death, Flavia is convinced it was murder, and she's determined to solve the crime. It's no April Fool's joke to say I'm going to host Alan Bradley for Authors @ The Teague on my birthday, April 1.

212 is Alafair Burke's latest novel. The police told college sophomore Megan Gunther not to worry about personal threats appearing on the web site. When she's murdered, NYPD detective Elie Hatcher and her partner take over the case, and discover a connection to a murder and a disappearance. They're going to have to move quickly to prevent more deaths.





Harlan Coben's new book, Caught, features a reporter on a mission. She's tracking down sexual predators and exposing them on TV. Her biggest break, the arrest of a child advocate, may turn out to be a mistake. So what happens if Wendy was manipulated to destroy an innocent man?

I just love the writing team of Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer. Their books are sexy, fun, and suspenseful. I hope Wild Ride is no exception. When Mary Alice Brannigan is hired to restore a decaying amusement park, she doesn't expect to find it's a prison for demons she doesn't believe in. But then, she doesn't believe the man she's falling in love with either.

Hell Gate is Linda Fairstein's twelfth novel featuring Alexandra Cooper. She's torn in two directions as she investigates a shipwreck with human contraband cargo, and a political scandal involving a promising New York congressman. When the two cases come together, they could change the political landscape of New York City.

In Lisa Jackson's Without Mercy, Julia Farentino takes a job at an elite boarding school for wayward kids to protect her half-sister. Some of the students went missing six months earlier, and now Julia uncovers disturbing information.

I'd beware of exclusive schools after reading crime novels. Jonathan Kellerman's Deception takes LAPD Detective Milo Sturgis and Alex Delaware into an investigation of perversity and violence when a woman is found dead after disclosing on a DVD that she was subjected to sexual horror at an LA school.

Fans of the Spellmans will appreciate Lisa Lutz' The Spellmans Strike Again as Izzy Spellman solves more cases, no thanks to her lovable but paranoid family.

I've included one nonfiction title in this list, Frances Mayes' Every Day in Tuscany: Seasons of an Italian Life. The third volume in Mayes' Tuscany trilogy continues the chronicle of her two decades love affair with Tuscany, its people and culture. She includes more of the pleasures of her life there, favorite recipes, and the delights and challenges of living in Italy.





Denise Mina's Still Midnight features an unusual case for Alex Morrow. When three armed men enter a home in Glasgow, and demand a man who never had been there, the event turns tragic. Now, the kidnappers are demanding an impossible ransom.

Jacob Hunt is a teenage boy with Asperger's syndrome in Jodi Picoult's latest novel, House Rules. He has a special focus, forensic analysis, and he monitors a police scanner, and shows up at crime scenes. When his tutor is found dead, his behavior makes Jacob a suspect.

Author Cornelia Read's own efforts to clean up a cemetery led to her latest novel, Invisible Boy. Former socialite Madeline Dare is shocked when she discovers the skeleton of a young boy in her unkempt family cemetery across the East River from Manhattan. Her work to find the truth leads to an examination of her own past, and the class and racial warfare that penetrates society in New York City.

Reporter Chris Bergen can never live up to his father's reputation as a legendary investigative reporter. But, one day he's on site when an explosion destroys a building and Chris save five people, becoming a hero. But, one of Chris' sources seems to be creating incidents to make him famous. Now, he wants something in return in David Rosenfelt's Down to the Wire.

Doc Ford faces rough choices in Randy Wayne White's latest book, Deep Shadow. While diving with friends, a cave collapses trapping them. Doc surfaces to get help, but two men there to recover a wreck and its treasure insist he help them, or die himself.

All of the other books mentioned are by established authors. I also see possibilities for a debut novel, The Season of Second Chances by Diane Meier. Joy Harkness impulsively accepts a position at Amherst College, leaving her secure life behind. As she restores a tumbledown Victorian house, assisted by a quirky handyman, she discovers second chances can be discovered at any age.





And, terrific books can be discovered any month. I hope there's a treasure or two waiting for you here. Let me know if I missed a March release you're waiting for. We all want to know about the books you anticipate will be hot titles.

24 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

March is looking amazing for reading! I'm especially interested in "Season of Second Chances" and "Girl who Chased the Moon."

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder
Mystery Lovers’ Kitchen

brizmus said...

OHman, March is seriously going to be awesome! I especially can't wait for the Girl Who Chased the Moon!

Lesa said...

Doesn't March sound great, Elizabeth? You picked out two of my favorites as well. Can't wait for a couple of them!

Lesa said...

I'm a big Sarah Addison Allen fan, Brizmus. That book looks like it's going to be terrific.

Jen Forbus said...

I'm all for taking March off to read! I think we need to talk to President Obama about making the month a national holiday...everybody off! :) I'm getting read to start 212 this week, and I'm drooling over HELL GATE! Can't wait! March is going to be a GREAT reading month!

Lesa said...

Well, all I can say, Jen, is city government would probably be happy to furlough everyone for a month, and save money. And, we'd have time to read. So, it's one program Obama might be able to get passed. I'm backed up with February books, so I can't get to March ones yet.

Diane said...

Oh Gosh.....I need a bigger notebook! I want them all at some point! Thanks Lesa

Kay said...

My word, what a month. Can I say that I have multiple, multiple wishes in this list. I love Cornelia Read's books and that one may be my favorite in the list, but there are many, many. Thanks for sharing and my wish list truly runneth over.....

Mason Canyon said...

WOW, I'm with everyone else. Let's take March off to read. These sounds great. So many wonderful titles to select from, oh where to start my wish list. Thanks for giving us a heads up on what's coming.

Ingrid King said...

Wow, what a great list! Absolutely, let's take March off to read! Like Elizabeth, I'm particularly intrigued with The Girl Who Chased the Moon and Season of Second Chances.

Lesa said...

Doesn't March look great, Diane? I'm glad I can entice you to more books!

Lesa said...

I'm looking forward to Cornelia's book, too, Kay. She writes the most intriguing stories. I have multiple books on that list, too!

Lesa said...

My favorite time of the month, Mason, when I can point out forthcoming books. Love to do that!

Lesa said...

I'm glad I mentioned those two books, Ingrid. And, I've been a little behind in replying to email. I'll be answering you later today!

Janet Rudolph said...

March is going to be a great month. I've read a few of these titles and can't wait to read the others. I'm so amazed that we have such similar taste. I just love your blog!

Beth Hoffman said...

I wrote a blurb for the dust jacket of THE GIRL WHO CHASED THE MOON, I really enjoyed it.

There are several books here that I'm eager to read. March is sure to be a big month, Lesa!

Inside A Book said...

My oh my...I better put a hustle on my February reading!! What am I talking about, I'm afraid I'm still stuck in a January book!!

You are a temptress, Lesa!

Harlan Coben, Lodi Picoult, and much, much more....Yikes! I'm almost willing to think about warmer temperatures just to get closer to some pub dates.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Janet! I haven't read any of them yet. This is the stack I don't have in my closet. But, I'm looking forward to many of these books.

Lesa said...

Ooooh, Beth. You've already read The Girl Who Chased the Moon! I can't wait to read that one. I really like Sarah Addison Allen's books.

Lesa said...

I'm with you, Inside a Book. I haven't started my February reading yet. I'm still in the January stack. February starts tomorrow, I believe.

Clea Simon said...

Ah, there's the Denise Mina! That's what I've been waiting for - but really happy to hear there's a new Bradley, too. I know "Sweetness..." kind of polarized readers, but I'm one of the ones who loved it. Thanks for letting us know what's on the way!

Lesa said...

I love letting everyone know what books are coming, Clea. I like to know, and I always think others will, too. And, it gives us a heads up for ordering or putting holds on at the library!

Bonnie said...

Thanks for the preview of March books Lesa. I am a fan of Sarah Addison Allen work also and can't wait to read her new book. The Season of Second Chances has also caught my eye.

Lesa said...

Those of us who are fans of Sarah Addison Allen all seem to be interested in The Season of Second Chances as well. I hope they're both equally good, Bonnie!