Friday, February 12, 2010

February Brown Bag Luncheon

I love the brown bag luncheons when I get a chance to share some of my favorite books from the last three months. Library patrons can bring lunch, and I'll supply cookies, coffee and water, and then I talk about books! This month, for Valentine's Day, I brought cookies, and one of the patrons brought cupcakes for everyone. What a treat!

I hope they found the book discussion a treat as well. Here are the books I discussed.



Berney, Lou – Gutshot Straight (Adult Fiction) – Recommended on the Today Show, it’s a caper novel, a love story between two cons, and just a fun novel.

Brande, Robin – Fat Cat (Teen Fiction) – Cat Locke’s science fair project involves using herself as a guinea pig.

Confections of a Closet Master Baker – Gesine Bullock-Prado (92 Bullock-Prado, Gesine) – Journey from unhappy Hollywood executive to contented Vermont baker.

Buy Ketchup in May and Fly at Noon – Mark Di Vincenzo (640 D618b) – Consumer advise at to best times to buy things and travel.

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt – Beth Hoffman (Adult Fiction) The story of a young girl whose troubled life is changed one summer by a group of steel magnolias.

Roses – Leila Meacham (Adult Fiction) – One of those blockbuster family sagas that hasn’t existed in years – the story of the powerful families of Howbutker, Texas, and star-crossed love.

Baja Florida – Bob Morris (Adult Fiction) – When Zack Chasteen’s dying friend, Mickey Ryser, asks Zack to find his missing daughter, he’s sending Zack into danger in the Bahamas.

Hasta la Vista, Lola! – Misa Ramirez (Adult Fiction) – When Lola Cruz, a private investigator, learns she’s supposed to be dead, she has to find why anyone would want to steal her identity.

Bed of Roses – Nora Roberts (LP Fiction, also Adult Fiction) – Emma, the florist for Vows, finds love.

The Happiness Project – Gretchen Rubin (151.1 R896h) – Why one woman spent a year trying to change her life so she was happier.

Why My Third Husband Will Be a Dog by Lisa Scottoline (814.54 S431w) – The mystery author’s newspaper columns about her life, her mother, and her daughter.

Brava, Valentine – Adriana Trigiani (Adult Fiction) – The second book in Trigiani’s trilogy about a woman who makes exquisite shoes in NYC, and her family.

Post Secret: Confessions on Life, Death, and God – Frank Warren (177.3 W288d) – Postcards about life, death, and faith.

As you can see, it didn't quite total my normal fifteen books, so I swiped a couple of my recent hot titles lists, and talked about forthcoming books as well. All in all, a fun hour.

8 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I wish I lived close enough to go to one of your lunches! They sound like a lot of fun. And these are some great-sounding books!

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

bermudaonion said...

Sounds like fun and what a great list of books! Everyone's talking about The Happiness Project - I need to look into it.

Kay said...

I always think these sound so fun. I'm sure your attendees love them. Some good books that you highlighted.

caryn said...

I've drastically cut back on my blog hopping, but your blog is one I still check regularly-especially your "brown bag lunch" ones and the "in my closet" ones.
Great mini book reviews!
Caryn w/hugs

David A. Bedford said...

A pity I live too far away. Since your tastes are so varied you may (or not) like my new release. Please follow the link to my website to know more about it. Thanks!

Lesa said...

Hi Caryn! I'm going to continue to "try" to keep up with the blog, but it's not easy right now. I hope you still come back and check to see if I've blogged. Thanks!

Lesa said...

Hi David. Thank you. I'll check out your blog.

Wanda Jewell said...

Congratulations to Saving CeeCee Honeycutt being chosen as an Okra Pick - http://ow.ly/18QEV