Sunday, February 07, 2010

Drive Time by Hank Phillippi Ryan

How does Hank Phillippi Ryan do it? Her crime novels are ripped right from the headlines. Perhaps it's because she is an investigative reporter, with her pulse on the news. But when her investigative reporter, Charlie McNally starts by investigating recalls of cars, and the cars that are not repaired, it seemed so timely with the Toyota recalls. But, Drive Time is about so much more than recalls.

Poor Charlie. If any of the books have left her with her head spinning, it's this one. She's now engaged to Josh Gelston, a professor at the elite Bexter Academy. She's going to be a stepmother. She thinks she has a terrific investigation underway. And, she thinks she can have it all, a marriage, a daughter, and a successful career. Don't count your chickens before they're hatched.

There's something strange going on at Bexter, phone calls going to staff and wealthy parents. And, as much as Charlie would like to investigate, she has to keep hands off because of her new relationship to the school. It's hard to keep secrets when she suspects murder. And, while she's trying to learn her new role in relationship to the school, she involved with a story about cars that just gets bigger and bigger, beginning with one accident on the Massachusetts Turnpike. Just as she's planning her future, her boss offers her a dream job. It's just too much for Charlie to keep straight, while also planning a wedding.

Hank Phillippi Ryan's Charlie McNally stories are exciting page-turners. Drive Time isn't just about cars. It's about one woman's driven career, and the drive to uncover a shocking story. It's about the passionate drive to know secrets, to have a successful life. It's Hank Phillippi Ryan's latest must-read crime novel, Drive Time.

Hank Phillippi Ryan's website is www.HankPhillippiRyan.com

Drive Time by Hank Phillippi Ryan. MIRA, ©2010. ISBN 9780778327974 (paperback), 352p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - I received the review copy from the author, in hopes I would review it.

11 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I like the idea behind this one...that Charlie WANTS to investigate, but is worried about her new job. Great idea! And what good timing, plot-wise.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Deadly Letters GTA said...

This is a good review/synopsis. Sounds just like the kind of book I'd like to read!

Ingrid King said...

This sounds like a great book - I've been meaning to check out Hank's books.

Lesa, stop by The Conscious Cat when you have a chance - you've won the Over the Top Blog Award.

Lesa said...

Elizabeth,

That's what I thought - good timing. She couldn't have known it would hit at the same time as the Toyota recall. Or could she? (smile)

Lesa said...

Thank you, Deadly Letters GTA. I hope you enjoy the books if you get the chance to read them!

Lesa said...

Oh, Ingrid. I don't feel as if I deserve it, especially in the last couple weeks, but I'm going there now to check it out. Thank you!

Clea Simon said...

I always enjoy Hank's books! And congrats, Lesa! You do deserve it - you're one of the most conscientious, regular, and reliable reviewers (and source of book news) out there!

Lesa said...

Thank you, Clea. I always enjoy Hank's books as well, and I was looking forward to this one. I like the combination of Charlie's professional and personal life. Thank you. That comment is really appreciated right now.

Hank Phillippi Ryan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hank Phillippi Ryan said...

Wow! So I get off the plane from my wonderful weekend visit to Alabama's Murder in the Magic City and Murder on the Menu. I open my email--to find this treasure of a review. A jewel. A delight.

Lesa, you are astonishing. What a joy to read such a thoughtful, insightful and perceptive review. Ah. You are an author's dream. This one, in particular!

Thank you again. I am--endlessly grateful.

Oh, PS--If your readers are interested, they can email me via "contact" on my website to get free shipping on Drive Time! (And if they mention Lesa's Book Critiques, I will ask the bookstore to include a special limited edition (gorgeous) canvas tote bag!)

I do hope our paths cross in person again soon.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Hank! And, what a wonderful offer for the free shipping and the canvas tote bag! Very nice!

And, thank you for the extremely nice comments. Oh, we'll meet someday, I'm sure!