Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Diva Paints the Town by Krista Davis

Sometimes it seems as if Sophie Winston is the only sane person in Krista Davis' The Diva Paints the Town. Thank heavens someone keeps their head during the renovation of a house, coordination of a home show, and the investigation of a couple murders.

Sophie Winston already had enough on her plate with the coordination of Rooms and Blooms, the home show in Alexandria. Then Natasha, her nemesis, ropes her into decorating a room at the late neighbor's house. Mordecai seldom had visitors, and local designers are dying to see it. That doesn't mean a designer has to die there. When Sophie's best friend, Nina, wakes her in the middle of the night, saying she killed someone, Sophie is dragged into a weird case. She finds the body, but it disappears before a suspicious police officer can see it. Who knew the world of interior design could be so deadly?

You have to admire Sophie. She copes with Natasha, a television diva that she's been competing with for years. Natasha is even living with Sophie's ex, and has her own TV show, but she suspects that Sophie is more popular and smarter than she is. And, she's right. It takes a strong woman to deal, not only with Natasha, but also with a friend who confesses to murder, and suspicions of one policeman that Sophie is responsible for the murders.

Davis' latest is an enjoyable mystery that includes decorating tips, a few pets, a unusual bequest, and recipes. And, the book has one of the wonderful covers, this one by Teresa Fasolino, that Penguin's Berkley Prime Crime is known for. Once again, Krista Davis brings us interesting, fun characters, including the man whose death kicked off all of the action in The Diva Paints the Town, the mysterious Mordecai.

Krista Davis' website is www.kristadavis.com, and she blogs at www.mysteryloverskitchen.com

The Diva Paints the Town by Krista Davis. Berkley Prime Crime, ©2010. ISBN 9780425233443 (paperback), 293p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - I received my copy from the publisher, in hopes I would review the book.

8 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

This sounds wonderful. I can't wait to read it. I read the two prior Diva books and was hooked. I don't see how Sophie does it? I don't think I could be so friendly to Natasha.:)

Michele Emrath said...

This is not my sort of book, but I wanted to post a comment to say I just "discovered" you blog through Patricia Stoltey's site. Great to be here. I used to live in your area, in Litchfield Park/Avondale. My husband was an officer at Luke AFB.

You and your husband are in our prayers.

Michele
SouthernCityMysteries

Lesa said...

Mason, I totally agree with you. I don't see how Sophie does it. I couldn't.

Lesa said...

Michele -

Thanks for stopping by. The blog might not be up to my normal standards right now, so I hope you continue to come back.

You really are from my neck of the woods!

And, thank you. I appreciate all of the prayers.

Julie Hyzy said...

I really enjoy reading about Sophie and I just started this newest DIVA - and can't wait to find time to read more. Krista's got an excellent series here. (And I agree - great cover!) I'm so glad you reviewed it!

Take care,
Julie

Lesa said...

Thank you, Julie. It is a fun series. I really enjoyed the book.

Kris said...

Sounds like a fun new series! I haven't heard of it before, but I'm going to add it to my wish list now.

Lesa said...

I hope you enjoy the series, Kris. It's a fun one, and I like Sophie.