Monday, February 15, 2010

Avenging Angels by Mary Stanton

I haven't read the first two books in Mary Stanton's Beaufort & Company mystery series, but the third book, Avenging Angels, was a wonderful introduction to this original series. Anyone who enjoys the paranormal aspect to a mystery should appreciate this outstanding book.

It hasn't been long since lawyer Brianna Winston-Beaufort inherited her uncle's law practice in Savannah, a very unusual business. Bree has a staff of angels, and three unusual guard dogs to assist her in the practice. She handles appeal cases for the dead, but their murderers are very much alive, and very dangerous.

When Bree attends an auction with her actress-wannabe sister, Antonia, she touches the desk of a man who committed suicide, and hears a demand, "I want to go home." Her sister's interest in the Savannah Shakespeare Players dovetails nicely with Bree's interest in the dead man's widow, the wealthy investor in the theater group. But, Bree isn't the only one with an interest in Tully O'Rourke. A NYPD officer has followed Tully to Savannah, convinced she killed her husband. Bree's investigation leads her into danger that even her guard dogs don't suspect.

What a wonderful concept for a series! This is a solid mystery, with an investigating lawyer, and her staff. That staff just has one goal in mind, to find killers, and plead for the souls of the dead. But, Bree's new career, as a lawyer for dead souls, may have an impact on her own life. It will be fascinating to watch the development of Stanton's series.

Mary Stanton also creates wonderful characters. Bree is a wonderful protagonist, who dotes on her flaky sister, who would drive me nuts. She even drives Bree nuts at times. All of the characters, from Bree to her family, to the angels, suspects, and the needy dead man are brought vividly to life. It takes a talented writer to make readers love some characters, such as Bree and her new secretary, and contrast them with Bree's sister. Throw in Savannah as a setting, and Mary Stanton's Beaufort & Company series, and this latest book, Avenging Angels, are fascinating stories. I'll be waiting for the next one.



Avenging Angels by Mary Stanton. Berkley Prime Crime, ©2010. ISBN 9780425233092, 293p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - The publisher sent me this book, in hopes I would review it.

8 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

This will be the second paranormal mystery I've put on my TBR list. I love Savannah, of course, and the whole subgenre is interesting to me. Now I just need to make some reading time!

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Lesa said...

This one is terrific, Elizabeth. You should find time for it!

cindy.maher said...

I had no idea a third book was out! I loved the two previous ones. Thanks for posting!

Kris said...

Sounds like just the type of cozy I like the most. I'll have to check out this series..thanks for the review.

Kay said...

I'm pretty sure I have the first book in this series. I need to start it so that I can continue. Being the nutcase that I am, I MUST READ IN ORDER! :-)

Lesa said...

Cindy,

You're ahead of me. I only discovered this series with this book. Very good series!

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Kris. I really enjoyed this one!

Lesa said...

Kay, I'm afraid I didn't have the first two, and I just plunged right in. But, I loved this book! I hope you like the earlier ones.