Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sunday Tidbits

On Friday, I reviewed Spencer Quinn's latest Chet and Bernie mystery, Thereby Hangs a Tail. A couple people let me know that Spencer Quinn is actually Peter Abrahams. Since I didn't know it, and found that interesting, I thought others might as well. Here's a link to an article by Mark Medley, from March 2009, "Peter Abrahams' Secret Life as Spencer Quinn.

Deni Dietz, author of books under the names of Denise Dietz and Mary Ellen Dennis, has accepted a position with Tekno-Books/Five Star as Associate Editor. She'll be in charge of all first-time mystery and romance authors. That includes first-book writers and published authors (but new to Five Star).

Have you checked out Murder She Writes lately? With the addition of Laura Griffin, Lori G. Armstrong, and Sophie Littlefield, there are now ten authors blogging. Check it out, and read what these women, and Allison Brennan, Debra Webb, Jennifer Lyon, Karin Tabke, Roxanne St. Claire, S.J. Day, and Toni McGee Causey, are writing.

J. Sydney Jones, author of Requieum in Vienna, just launched a new blog, Scene of the Crime. He says, "This blog will be devoted to interviews with authors of mysteries and thrillers who have a particular connection with a city or locale. Think Simenon and Paris, Conan Doyle and London. Now think extant writers: Cara Black and Paris, Philip Kerr and pre-war Berlin, Robert B. Parker and Boston, Matt Beynon Rees and Jerusalem, Donna Leon and Venice, Jason Goodwin and early nineteenth-century Istanbul, and yes, yours truly for Vienna 1900." Who do you think of when you think of a particular connection to a location? I think of Leighton Gage and Brazil, Vicki Delany and British Columbia, and Ann Parker with Leadville, CO in the 1870s and 1880s. Oh, and of course, some of my favorites - Louise Penny and Quebec, Steven Havill for Posadas County, New Mexico, and Donis Casey with Oklahoma in the early 1900s.

Thank you to Dean James for passing on the obituary of crime fiction author M.R.D. Meek. Here's the link.

And, finally, good news for those of us who are fans of Margaret Maron's Sigrid Harald. Maron hasn't had a Sigrid Harald book since 1995's Fugitive Colors. According to her website, she's researching "The 2011 book—a book that will finally let Deborah Knott and Sigrid Harald meet for the first (and only?) time—and I’m having fun noticing the differences between their two worlds." I was a big fan of Sigrid Harald. If you haven't read these mysteries, go back and start with One Coffee With, the book that introduced Police Lieutenant Sigrid Harald way back in 1981.

Happy Reading this week!

12 comments:

Kay said...

Very nice tidbits, Lesa. I enjoyed hearing about Margaret Maron's plans. I liked Sigrid Harald as well and the Deborah Knott series is one of my very favorites.

Lesa said...

Thanks, Kay. I really liked the Sigrid Harald books, so I'm looking forward to her return.

Mason Canyon said...

Great tidbits and so many new things to check out. I love the Deborah Knott books by Margaret Maron. Sounds like she's got another good one planned. Thanks.

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Mason. Isn't it nice to learn about new books by a favorite author?

Kaye Barley said...

Isn't this exciting news about Sigrid and Deborah meeting?! VERY cool!

Donis Casey said...

There's nothing better than appearing on a 'favorites' list by your favorite blogger. Thanks, Lesa, and an only slightly ironic thanks for more titles to add to my teetering TBR list

Lesa said...

This is exciting, Kaye! Thanks for the original heads-up.

Lesa said...

Definitely, Donis! Scene of the Crime fits your books. I know. I'm an enabler, and I love it when people tell me they've added books to their TBR. I don't feel so bad about mine then. (grin)

le0pard13 said...

Great post, Lesa. Thanks for this.

p.s., I've nominated you for Kreativ Blogger, my friend.

Lesa said...

Thank you for the nomination,
le0pard13. That's so kind of you!

Ann Parker said...

Hi Lesa,
I'm so glad that when you think of me, you think of Leadville! Now, if I could only work out a way to actually live there ... No chance of doing the time travel bit, though. :-)

Lesa said...

Ann!

Definitely think of you when I think of Leadville. No, I don't think they've come through with time travel, yet. Sorry!