Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sunday Tidbits - March Treasures in My Closet

March looks like a good month for crime fiction. I have some very interesting books in my closet with release dates in March. So, let's talk crime!

Murder in the Palais Royal is the tenth book in the Aimée Leduc series by Cara Black. Aimée's partner in Leduc Detective in Paris has been shot, and the authorities suspect Aimée. Then the tax authorities descend on them. Is someone out to get revenge? You can pick up Murder in the Palais Royal to find the answers. Or maybe Cara Black will reveal a few secrets when she appears for Authors @ The Teague on March 11.





The one book that isn't a crime novel here is Sandra Dallas' Whiter Than Snow. One of my favorite authors has a recurrent theme of forgiveness, redemption and survival in a story of an avalanche in Colorado in 1920. Nine children were swallowed up by the snow, but only four survived. This is the story of their families. I'm finally going to get a chance to meet Sandra Dallas when she speaks to librarians here in Phoenix in May!





I can't wait to read the first book in a new series by Nancy Martin. In Our Lady of Immaculate Deception, she introduces Roxy Abruzzo, the grandniece of a Pittsburgh Mafia boss. Roxy is trying to go straight so she can focus on her architectural-salvage business. But, old habits die hard, and one of her old habits sets off a chain reaction of murder and mayhem. Sounds fun! And, Nancy's going to be a guest blogger here on March 2, so you'll have a chance to question her and read her comments.





Freeze Frame is the fourth book in the Enzo MacLeod cold case series by Peter May. This one takes forensics ace MacLeod to a tiny island off the coast of Brittany in France. He's interested in a study preserved for almost twenty years after the owner's murder. However the locals have no desire to see the infamous murder publicized again. It may prove to be one of Enzo's most difficult cases.

Michael Norman puts his characters On Deadly Ground. Southern Utah's Kanab is a community bitterly divided by the politics of land management. Environmentalists are pitted against a powerful citizens' group led by a rancher. But, when an environmentalist is killed, the local sheriff turns to J.D. Books for help. Books is the new Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Ranger. There are secrets, a reclusive witness, a Las Vegas business group, and, more trouble when a contract killer appears in Kanab.

I love the cover of Clea Simon's new Dulcie Schwartz feline mystery, Grey Matters. No one seems to have time for Dulcie. She's working on her doctoral thesis, but her adviser seems distracted, and university politics could end her plans. Her roommate is quitting school, and her boyfriend isn't around. When Dulcie discovers the body of a fellow grad student, she thinks it couldn't get any worse. Even Mr Grey, the wise ghost of her late cat isn't helping, so Dulcie just might be on her own.




Keith Thomson's debut thriller, Once a Spy, has a terrific premise. Charlie Clark has to take a break from his lousy luck at the track to pick up his father, Drummond, who, thanks to Alzheimer's Disease, wandered away from home. They find Drummond's apartment blown sky high, and then bullets start flying. However, Drummond Clark does remember how to hot-wire a car, and Clark realizes there is more to his father than he thought. So, what happens when a successful spy can't remember his past? Charlie and Drummond will be on a wild chase, escaping terrorists and the CIA.

Hush is Kate White's first stand-alone thriller. When Lake Warren's husband sues for full custody of their two kids, she doesn't think things can get any worse. But, what if she has a one-night stand, and finds her lover's throat slashed? What if she has to lie to the police so she doesn't lose custody? What if her actions snowball out of control?






Teddy Ruzak's latest client is a good looking dame who suspects her husband is cheating on her. When Teddy's client disappears, he doesn't know if this is a divorce case, or murder. Find out in Richard Yancey's The Highly Effective Detective Plays the Fool.

And, those are just the March Treasures in My Closet. Wait until tomorrow, when I can tell you about a great selection of forthcoming books, all with March release dates!

27 comments:

Kaye said...

Ooh, I love Nancy Martin's books! This new one promises to be a riot with the colorful Abruzzo family. I certainly look forward to her visit with you.

Lesa said...

I'm with you, Kaye. I can't wait to read the book, and see what Nancy Martin has to say!

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

March looks like a good month for books!

I'm curious to read Clea's new book. Thanks for the tip on what to request!

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Ann Elle Altman said...

Those sound like great books, I think I will look into some.
ann

Ingrid King said...

I can't wait for Clea's new one - it's actually on route to me from Amazon and I should have it in my hands tomorrow or Tuesday! I'm so excited!

The other books all sound great, too - I love your Treasures in My Closet posts.

Diane said...

Lucky you Les. The Sandra Dallas book really appeals to me as I've enjoyed her other books --enjoy!

Mason Canyon said...

Always enjoy seeing what is in your closet. So many great new books coming out. March does look like a wonderful time to read.

Lesa said...

March looks terrific, Elizabeth. Isn't that a great looking cover for Clea's book? Can't wait for reading that month!

Lesa said...

Thanks, Ann. I hope you find something you want to read. Happy Reading!

Lesa said...

And, you're going to be reading Clea's before I do, Ingrid. I have lots of February books to read first. But, I'm looking forward to Clea's!

Lesa said...

I'm even luckier than I posted, Mason. I might get to go to breakfast with Sandra Dallas that morning! I'm not hurrying my life away, but I'm looking forward to May.

Lesa said...

Whoops, Diane. Answered Mason's comments for yours. I might get to go to breakfast with Sandra Dallas! One of my favorite authors.

Lesa said...

And, wait until you see the posting tomorrow, Mason. It only gets better!

Kaye Barley said...

I always love peeking into your closet! Thanks, Lesa!
Hugs!
Kaye
http://meanderingsandmuses.blogspot.com/

Lesa said...

Too bad you don't have some of these titles now, Kaye, to help you through your winter weather!

Kay said...

I'm especially looking forward to Sandra Dallas' new book. Love her books. Some of the others look tempting too though. Glad you shared, Lesa.

Lesa said...

I'm a BIG Sandra Dallas fan, too, Kay. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Jen Forbus said...

Oh yes! These look like a number of titles that are on my TBR shelf, too, Lesa! Very excited about them, too. They are all calling my name. Can we take February off to read, too????

Lesa said...

I think we should take both months off, Jen, or we'll never get through all the good books!

Clea Simon said...

Thank you, Lesa! I hope you find that "Grey Matters" lives up to its cover! And thanks for the head's up on the other books, too. My TBR pile is growing (there's a new Denise Mina coming out in March, too, I believe).

I will have more Dulcie news soon...

clea

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Clea. There are a few people waiting to read Grey Matters, as you can tell. Yes, the new Denise Mina is on today's summary.

Janet Rudolph said...

I love your Sunday Tibits, and I'm looking forward to all these books. Didn't know there was a new Sandra Dallas book! And lucky you getting to meet her.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Janet. And, thank you for that comment about Sunday Tidbits, and the other about loving my blog. That means a great deal to me, coming from you. I really respect your work. I do think I'm lucky to finally get to meet Sandra Dallas!

caite said...

well, I have read Martin's book...and let me just say I loved it. very entertaining.

Lesa said...

Oh, nice, Caite! I always appreciate knowing what you thought of a book. Thank you.

Bonnie said...

Lucky you to get to meet Sandra Dallas! I wasn't aware that she will have a new book out next month and will be looking for it. I like her writing and have read several of her books.

Lesa said...

Bonnie,

That's exactly how I feel - very lucky that I'm going to get a chance to meet Sandra Dallas. It should be fun!