Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Perfect Christmas by Debbie Macomber

I admire authors who continue to come up with original ideas for familiar themes. Debbie Macomber loves Christmas, and year after year she has a new Christmas book, with a twist. This year, it's The Perfect Christmas.

At thirty-four, Cassie Beaumont has a successful career as a biochemist, a good friend in Angie, and a brother she loves, although she seldom sees him. But, she's ready for more. She wants to marry, and have kids. But, she hasn't dated a man that could live up to her high expectations. When Angie suggests Cassie tries a matchmaker, she's intrigued.

It will cost her $30,000, but isn't the rest of her life worth it? So, Cassie meets with Dr. Simon Dobson, who guarantees he'll find her a husband, or she gets her money back. There's just one hitch. Cassie has to do three Christmas-related tasks before she can meet the man that would be "the most suitable one." And, they are three tasks that are could easily lead to disaster. Dobson irritates Cassie, with his aloof manner, so she's determined to prove that she can succeed, and become the perfect wife. But, each time she takes a step toward her goal, she becomes more intrigued with Dr. Simon Dobson.

I don't need to sell any of Debbie Macomber's fans on her latest Christmas book. It was already on the bestseller lists by the end of October. But, if you haven't read one of her enjoyable Christmas stories, it might be time to give yourself a treat, and ponder The Perfect Christmas.

Debbie Macomber's website is www.DebbieMacomber.com

The Perfect Christmas by Debbie Macomber. Mira, ©2009. ISBN 9780778326823 (hardcover), 240p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - The review copy was sent to me by Debbie Macomber's publicist, with the hope I'd review it.

3 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

This one just came in at the library for me a few days ago! Still finishing up a "Brutal Telling," but this book is next. :)

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Ingrid King said...

I've hesitated picking this one up - the idea of a matchmaker just seems really weird to me in a contemporary novel. But it does sound niceI wish Macomber had continued her Angels series, though - I really enjoyed that.

John said...

I'm reading "Christmas Wishes" (and simultaneously hoping and doubting) that I'll finsih the second novella by Christmas. I'm a holiday freak, and so I love seasonal books. I haven't yet read "The Perfect Christmas," but Ms. Macomber did send me a copy to give away as well as a recipe to share on my blog.