Monday, December 14, 2009

Bed of Roses by Nora Roberts

I'm hooked on Nora Roberts' Bride Quartet. Bed of Roses is the second book in the series, one that focuses on four childhood friends who run a wedding business called Vows. The books are predictable romances, but if you're looking for a fun romantic story with enjoyable sex scenes, you can't go wrong with Nora Roberts.

In the first book in the series, Vision in White, Mac (Mackenzie), the photographer in the business, fell in love, and found the man she's planning to marry. Mac is now engaged, and Bed of Roses turns attention to Emma (Emmaline) Grant, the florist. Emma is the romantic of the group, dreaming of a man who'll sweep her off her feet, and love her as her father loves her mother. Jack Cooke, an architect she's known for years, is just the opposite. The child of divorce, he's dated around, and he's afraid of commitment.

It's obvious to all of Emma's friends that she's in love with Jack. But, she's afraid their romance could complicate the work he does for Vows, and their friendship. As one of her assistants says, it's awkward "Moving from friends to friends with benefits." And, as in most romances, the couple falls in love, events tear them apart, and then there's a happy ending. It's easy to see how this romance is going to turn out. The story is just how Emma and Jack get there.

Parker Brown and Laurel McBane still have stories to come in the Bride Quartet. Those romances are already foreshadowed in this one when Parker meets someone, and Laurel has a run-in with the man she's always loved. Laurel is the pastry chef at Vows, so her romance, due out in May, will be called Savor the Moment. The romantic relationships are as obvious as the titles. But, when you're in the mood for a good romance, who really cares? Roberts delivers attractive, interesting women in sexy relationships. Bed of Roses was another quick, romantic story from an expert.

Nora Roberts' website is www.noraroberts.com

Bed of Roses by Nora Roberts. Berkley Books, ©2009. ISBN 9780425230077 (paperback), 358p.

*****

FTC Full Disclosure - Library book

13 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

Oh Lesa, I love this series by Nora Roberts (as well as many of her others). I listened to the first book on CD and it was wonderful. It's like you said, you know there's going to be a happy ending, but the journey there is always filled with a mixture of emotions that makes it worth the trip. Can't wait to see what happens. Thanks and congrats on your award from Elizabeth.

Kaye said...

This is yet another series I want to start. I'm glad to see you are enjoying it.

Have a great week happy reading!

Lesa said...

Thank you, Mason! Elizabeth's award was very special to me. I really like this series, too. As I said, I'm hooked. Can't wait to read Savor the Moment. Did you notice I didn't give names of anyone's love interest except for the current book? I hope readers try them, and I don't want to give it away. You'll know from this one, though, who Laurel and Parker will end up with. Good romances!

Lesa said...

Thank you, Kaye. So many books, so little time, right? Especially this time of year. I have a number of series I want to start someday.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I haven't read Nora Roberts for a while...I'm going to need to pick up her books again! I could use something a little different. Thanks for the tip!

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Elizabeth. If you start with this series, though, start with the first one, Vison in White.

Ingrid King said...

I love Nora Roberts, but I haven't even gotten around to reading the first one. This sounds really good - but since I know I'm going to want to read the entire series, I better start with the first one. And that TBR pile just keeps on growing....

Lesa said...

And, growing, and growing. Yes, start with Visions in White, Ingrid, so you can meet all four of the women.

Janet Rudolph said...

I haven't read this series, and being that I'm in the "industry"--hospitality which includes weddings & events, I'll put it on my list. Sounds like the perfect read between dark dense mysteries. Thanks so much for alerting me. As Ingrid said above, the TBR pile just keeps growing..

Lesa said...

And, this time of year, it grows too fast, Janet! I don't have time to get to everything I'd like. I'll be interested to know what you think if you ever get a chance to read these books.

Flowers said...

Thanks for sharing the Bed of Roses by Nora Roberts review. Will buy my copy today.

Lesa said...

Great! I made a sale. Enjoy the book, Flowers.

France said...

The series is Nora at her best: strong characters, close bonds, steeped in love. The dreamy romance of this one complements the flower theme and made me long for spring days in my own flower beds. Some of you may find the foral descriptions tedious, but I just wanted to run outside with my snips. I can't wait to read Laurel's story. And Parker's? He's going to give her a run for her money. I can't wait.