Sunday, November 22, 2009

Sunday Tidbits

Today, I'm starting a new feature, filled with newsy tidbits discovered over the last week. Most of them aren't big enough for an entire blog, but I'd like to keep you updated. So, here are a few pieces of the book world.

Leighton Gage had the following information on DorothyL this week. Yrsa Sigurd√°rdottir, Cara Black, Dan Waddell, Michael Stanley and Gage have always had one thing in common - they write mysteries set in vastly different areas of the globe. So, they've just launched a blog together, http://murderiseverywhere.blogspot.com. Check it out!

Betty Webb will appear at the Velma Teague Library on Jan. 25, for Authors@The Teague, so it's a pleasure to repeat her announcement. Library Journal voted Desert Lost, her new Lena Jones novel, one of the TOP FIVE MYSTERY NOVELS OF 2009. Congratulations, Betty! Betty's website is http://www.bettywebb-mystery.com.

And, a note - two of those five top mystery novels were published by Poisoned Pen Press. The other title, also by an Arizona author, was J.M. Hayes' Server Down: A Mad Dog & Englishman Mystery. Nice going, Poisoned Pen!

Last Sunday, I reviewed Lorna Barrett's Bookplate Special, her latest Booktown Mystery. Today, on The Lipstick Chronicles, she discusses a poor review of that book on Amazon. Oh, and Bookplate Special just happens to appear at #27 on the New York Times Mass Market Paperback List today. Congratulations, Lorna!

And, I'm a little late with Jim's tip of the week. Last weekend, he started Stephen King's Under the Dome. He wanted me to tell you then that it's a fantastic read, back to the old Stephen King. He said it will grab you immediately. It hadn't yet appeared at #1 on the New York Times bestseller list, so he wanted to give you the tip, and I didn't get it done. But, at the time, he was curious that he hadn't seen any publicity about the book. There's no information about it on the flyleaf, and no picture of King on the book. So, he wondered if King was just curious what would happen with word-of-mouth. Well, Jim's words say it's 1000 pages that will keep you engrossed.

We'll see if I have enough Sunday Tidbits to make this a weekly feature.

10 comments:

Beth Hoffman said...

Brava, Lesa! Your new Tidbits feature is great.

Thank you for coming up with this idea.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Beth. I'm going to try to keep it going. So, make sure you let me know if something FANTASTIC happens with you and CeeCee.

Kay said...

I like this feature, Lesa. I'm looking forward to reading Betty's new book. Love this series. I'm waiting for "Under the Dome" to be available for my Kindle. When I processed our copies of it, it almost broke my wrist! Ha! Anyway, I don't think they are releasing the e-book until December 24th. A new strategy I guess. Anyway, it is so big I decided it was made for Kindle reading! :-)

Lesa said...

Thanks, Kay. I'll see if I can pick up enough weekly news to keep it going, but I'd like to. I agree with you. I saw the size of that book, and thought, not for me.

Jim said...

See Lesa,

i told you it "The Dome" would be #1!!!

Love Jim :-)

Lesa said...

You're right. You picked it for going #1 last week.

Beth Hoffman said...

Lesa, as a matter of fact I do have some big news to share regarding CeeCee. I'll send an email shortly.

Hope you and Jim are having a great weekend.

Oh, and by the way, because of your recommendation, I purchased Elizabeth Spann Craig's novel, PRETTY IS AS PRETTY DIES. I'm loving it.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Beth, and I'm going to share your big news on Sunday Tidbits next week. Fantastic news!

I just love it when someone says they read a book because of my recommendation, and loved it. Thanks!

Leighton Gage said...

I concur that the Tidbits feature is a great idea.
And thanks for giving our new blog a mention, Lesa.

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Leighton. Thanks! And, of course I'll be checking out your blog with you and Cara doing parts of it!