Saturday, November 07, 2009

November Brown Bag Luncheon

Wednesday was my favorite day of the quarter, the day I hold my brown bag luncheon in my office. Library patrons bring their lunch while I supply cookies, coffee and water, and then I share fifteen books with them. (Actually, this month, I should say I introduced them to fifteen authors because I shared a few books by two of the authors.) Usually the books are new titles, but this month I added a few older titles that they might not have known about. Those older titles were snatched up! Two weeks from now, I'll share a similar group of books with the library system staff at a brown bag luncheon.

Here are the books from this quarter.


Carlson, Melody – The Christmas Dog - A stray dog changes the lives of three people.

Cooper, Gwen – Homer’s Odyssey – The bestselling, true story of a blind cat, and the lessons he taught his owner.

Hinger, Charlotte – Deadly Descent – While doing a local history for her Western Kansas community, Lottie Albright finds herself in the middle of family secrets, and murder.

Janzen, Rhoda – Mennonite in a Little Black Dress – The year after a car accident and her divorce, Janzen returned home to her parents, who are Mennonites.

Kiely, Tracy – Murder at Longbourn When Elizabeth Parker attends her aunt’s How to Host a Murder Party on New Year’s Eve, she doesn’t expect they will really host a murder.

Kimball, Camille – A Sudden Shot - The story of the Phoenix serial shooters.

Lamb, John J. – The Mournful Teddy – Brad & Ashleigh Lyon are bear collectors, and sleuths, in this debut mystery.

McManus, Patrick F. – The Double-Jack Murders – Sheriff Bo Tully goes camping, and takes on a cold case, hoping to draw out an escaped convict.

McNair, Cici – Detectives Don’t Wear Seat Belts - True adventures of a female P.I.

Penny, Louise – The Brutal Telling - The latest Armand Gamache mystery takes him back to Three Pines, where a local favorite is the suspect in a murder.

Piazza, Tom – City of Refuge - Powerful novel of two families coping with Hurricane Katrina.

Pratchett, Terry – Unseen Academicals - The wizards from Unseen University have to field a football (soccer) team, and device new rules for the game.

Radish, Kris – Annie Freeman’s Fabulous Traveling Funeral - When Annie Freeman dies, she asks her 5 best friends to give her a traveling funeral, and act as “pallbearers.” - Also – The Shortest Distance Between Two Women

Ray, Jeanne – Eat Cake - When Ruth’s life falls apart – her parents move in, and her husband loses his job, she dreams about cake, and bakes cakes. - Also - Julie and Romeo, and Julie and Romeo Get Lucky.

Wisdom, Linda – Hex Appeal & 50 Ways to Hex Your Lover (Fiction Paperbacks) Linda Wisdom's sexy, fun stories of witches, vampires, and Fluff & Puff, a pair of bunny slippers.

Brown bag luncheon days are my favorite days of the quarter.

9 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Thanks for the tips, Lesa! I've got Louise Penny's book on hold at the library and am eager to read "Mennonite in the Little Black Dress."

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Lesa said...

My favorite part of my job, Elizabeth - providing tips on books! In fact, the NYT Book Review covers "Mennonite in the Little Black Dress" this weekend, but you read about it here first. (smile)

holdenj said...

What a great idea! I can see why they'd be some of your favorite days!

Patti O said...

I love Jeanne Ray's books!

Lesa said...

Thank you! It's fun to get the chance to talk about a whole group of books!

And, I love Jeanne Ray's books, too!

Jen Forbus said...

Lesa, I got to meet Tracy Kiely at Bouchercon. What a super nice lady! I'm looking forward to MURDER AT LONGBOURN. And well you already know I can't even say Louise Penny's name without gushing shamelessly! ;)

I'm still trying to figure out how to get you back here so you can be my librarian! ;)

Lesa said...

I'll never say never, Jen, about coming back to Ohio, but my husband has said never. But, you never know!

I'm with you, and I'm looking forward to seeing Louise in December.

Nice to know Tracy Kiely is so nice!

le0pard13 said...

So many books... so little time. Great list you've put together, Lesa. Thanks.

Lesa said...

I totally agree with you,le0pard13, about so many books...so little time. You're welcome!