Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sunday Salon - Buckley's Story by Ingrid King

Most true animal stories will break your heart, and Buckley's Story by Ingrid King is no exception. At the same time, when pet lovers take the time and energy to share the story of their beloved animal, they're sharing the love and joy that animal brought to their life. King's book, Buckley's Story, is subtitled Lessons from a Feline Master Teacher because of the lessons the author learned in three short years from her beloved Buckley.

King first met Buckley at an animal hospital in Virginia, where she worked as office manager. The tortoiseshell cat immediately captured King's heart, and in the next year, Buckley's spirit pushed King to spread her own wings, going into business for herself. She started a business called Healing Hands, doing Reiki for animals and humans, but it took her a couple tries to make the big step of bringing Buckley home from the office, and adding it to her small family, Ingrid and her cat, Amber.

Unfortunately, Buckley had health problems, and over the next couple years, they only grew worse. But, Buckley had taught Ingrid lessons in that short period of time. One lesson involved enjoying every day, and focusing on the joy of life. So, King says, "Rather than telling the story the way it was - she had been diagnosed with a serous heart condition and had been given a poor prognosis - I choose to tell the story the way I wanted it to be: she was a happy little cat who was enjoying her life to the fullest."

Anyone who regularly reads animal books will know where Buckley's Story ends. Even so, it's always inspiring to read of the love that animals bring into lives, and the changes they cause. Ingrid King choose to tell Buckley's Story to share those lessons of day to day life, lived with joy and love.

Ingrid King's website is www.ingridking.com

Buckley's Story: Lessons from a Feline Master Teacher by Ingrid King. iUniverse, ©2009. ISBN 9781440166242 (paperback), 132p.

13 comments:

Eva said...

I agree with your last paragraph completely! I always have to gear myself up for the endings of pet nonfiction, though. The last one I read was Wesley the Owl, and while I loved it, the last few chapters were sooooooo sad.

Wendy said...

Lisa,
Have you read Homer's Odyssey by Gwen Cooper? It's about a blind cat (hence the name, Homer) and it is getting some good buzz. My assistant has my ARC, but when she gets done with it, I'm plunging in!

Wendy

debnance said...

I heard the other day that the number one way to increase blog traffic is to post a picture of a dog. Or a cat.

Let's see if it works for you.

I am writing down this title. Love animal stories.

Diane said...

I have not heard of this book, but did read Homer's Odyssey, Dewy, etc. I am a cat lover so I will probably pick this one up at some point. Great review.

Ingrid King said...

Thank you for this wonderful review, Lesa! I'll keep checking in throughout the day - I'd be happy to answer any questions from your readers.

Beth Hoffman said...

Animals are the shooting stars in my life, I'd have hundreds if I could.

This is a great review, Lesa. And though I know this book will make me teary, I'll read it just the same.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't wait to come home each day and read more of Buckley's Story. Besides being sad, the ending at the same time is happy and wonderful, because Buckley continues to inspire others today in so many ways. This is much more than just a heart touching feline tale, as it also contains a lot of excellent advice for others sharing life with a fur baby who has a serious disease. A wonderful read!

Ingrid, what advice would you give to others who are considering adopting a fur baby with special needs?

Ingrid King said...

Anonymous, I'm so glad you enjoyed the book.

As for adopting a pet with special needs, I really think it comes down to knowing yourself and how much you can handle when it comes to giving the kind of care some of these pets require. In Buckley's case, her health challenges were never part of the decision process for me - I fell in love with her, and that was that :-)

Lesa said...

Thanks for the comments, everyone, and, Ingrid, thanks for stopping in.

I'm home with a cold, and my husband had a motorcycle accidnet yesterday - the car driver was cited - totalled his bike, so I haven't been on earlier.

Thanks, everyone, for keeping the conversation going!


I have read Homer's Odyssey, and reviewed it Sept. 7, here. A beautiful book. I read Wesley the Owl as well. I'm a sucker for a good pet book, since there's so much love.

Ingrid King said...

Homer's Odyssey is a wonderful book. Wesley the Owl is on my TBR list.

I hope you and your husband feel better, Lesa!

Lesa said...

Thanks, Ingrid. We're working on it.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I love the idea of having pets teaching *us* and providing us with life lessons. Thanks for the review!

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Lesa said...

It is a nice idea, isn't it, Elizabeth. You're welcome!