Saturday, October 24, 2009

The Handy Answer Book for Kids (and Parents) by Gina Misiroglu

If your kids (or you) have questions about the world, Gina Misiroglu's The Handy Answer Book for Kids (and Parents) is a fun place to start.

The book is broken into ten sections, made up of questions, and, in most cases, one paragraph answers. The book has been updated from the earlier edition, with questions about the Internet, cyberbullying, and smartphones. It's an attractive, easy-to-read format, with scattered colored pictures and colorful section tabs.

Chapters include Outer Space, Planet Earth and Our Moon, Creatures Big and Small, Plants, People Around the World, Politics and and Government, How Things Work, Math, Measurement, & Time, All About My Body, Daily Life. I'd judge it as a perfect book for an audience of curious children ages eight to thirteen or so, and the parents of children who like to ask questions.

There are questions such as, "Why do deserts have special plants and animals?" "Can it rain cats and dogs?" Kids will enjoy "How do you stop a brain freeze?" And, of course, there's that boys' favorite, "What is a booger?" My own personal favorites are, "Why should I visit the library often?" and "What is the librarian's job?" It's a book with 800 questions, and fascinating facts.

Ok, full disclosure here. I was one of those nerdy kids who read the American history encyclopedia my parents bought, beginning with volume one. I would have been a prime candidate for The Handy Answer Book for Kids (and Parents). This is a fun book for the curious kid in your life.

The Handy Answer Book for Kids (and Parents) by Gina Misiroglu. Visible Ink, ©2009. ISBN 9781578592197 (paperback), Second Edition, 292p.


***FTC Full Disclosure - This was a review copy, sent by the publicist, with the hope I would review the book.

4 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

This sounds like a good one for us. And for me--how DO you stop a brain freeze?!?! Hate those things! :)

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Lesa said...

Warmth! Drink a little warm water, or curl your tongue against the roof of your mouth since your tongue is warmer. Add warmth!

Sarah Jane said...

glad I found your blog! Great post...I have been starting to look for these kinds of books for my kids...thanks!

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Sarah Jane! This was a terrific book. So good that I donated it to the library, and I'm picky about what I give them.