Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Double-Jack Murders by Patrick F. McManus

I was enticed by Patrick F. McManus' first Sheriff Bo Tully mystery because I knew his reputation for humorous writing about the outdoors. These mysteries successfully combine the outdoors, humor, and a little bit of mystery. The Double-Jack Murders is the latest enjoyable story, filled with innuendo, and good-hearted verbal sparring between the characters.

Meet Sheriff Bo Tully, the latest in a string of Tullys who have been sheriff in Blight County, Idaho. He's a successful politician, as evidenced by the fourth annual Sheriff Bo Tully Empty the Freezer Day, when he and his deputies bring out all the meat still in the freezer, and provide a free picnic to the county citizens. Even Tully's father, Pap, the former sheriff, is jealous that he never thought of that political ploy.

But, Tully has problems this year. Everyone in the county knows Lucas Kincaid, a murderer, has escaped from prison after only two months, and he's out to get Sheriff Tully, the man who arrested him. Tully has a plan, though. He and Pap, and their friend, Dave, will go camping, setting themselves up as targets, while Deputy Brian Pugh sets himself up to take out Kincaid.

And, while they're camping, Tully just might look into the disappearance of two men eighty-two years earlier. So, even while he's out camping, he can charge his expenses to the county. It's "The Blight Way." And, if his plan gets Kincaid at the same time, all the better.

McManus' latest mystery is filled with funny comments and situations. Only McManus gives readers Clarence, the dog who is a criminal, arrested a couple times for hiding under cars and biting at ankles. Or Pap, the dirty old man who can sleep between two coffins, scaring someone to death when he suddenly sits up. I was half-way through this book before I realized I enjoy the books because there is no foul language, no sex scenes, but plenty of eyebrow-wiggling innuendo. It's fun to meet the eccentric characters of Blight County, Idaho. You can't go wrong with Patrick F. McManus for a fun story of a sheriff who continues to run the county in "The Blight Way." McManus doesn't disappoint readers with the third book in the series, The Double-Jack Murders.

Patrick F. McManus' website is www.patrickfmcmanus.com

The Double-Jack Murders by Patrick F. McManus. Simon & Schuster, ©2009. ISBN 9781439131350 (hardcover), 228p.

11 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

These characters sound like they pop right off the page. Thanks for this recommendation--I'm putting a request for it at the library.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Elizabeth. I think your characters would get along well with McManus'.

Bev said...

I read this book the day it came out. In fact, I read the whole book in one night. Living in Idaho, I've been lucky to meet Pat McManus several times and he is one of the nicest people. Today, he is going to be at the our local bookstore and I'm excited to see him again.

Lesa said...

Bev! That's great to hear that Patrick McManus is so nice. Wasn't this a fun book? I'm with you. I read it yesterday.

Joe Barone said...

Thanks for this review. I've got a sample coming to my Kindle.

John David said...

Hello Sir,

I visited your website http://lesasbookcritiques.blogspot.com when I am searching for Books, Novels and other related information. Your site having good information's based on Books and Novels and many educational information . The information is very much standard and presentation of information is very legible. My site is also about Books, Novels, Library Information, Famous Author's Biography and many useful information related to it.

Your site is more relevant to my site. If you give my links on your site it will be useful for both of us. Your site contains much other information that give more knowledge and many more ideas about the topics you have given in your site.

The Information present in your site is very informative and it gives a wide knowledge about many things. I was very much impressed with your site. Its guide me more.





Our Site Information:


Title: Books Information


Url: http://www.nobeltrader.com/blogs/nobelblog.htm

Description: Get all the information you need about books - book search, world book encyclopedia, reference book, Autho's Biography and Library Infomation.


My Email Id: nobeltradernew@gmail.com

if you have any questions please feel free to email me and I will respond promptly.

Let me know once you added my link.

--
Thanks,
John David

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Joe. I hope you enjoy the sample enough to read the entire book!

le0pard13 said...

Another wonderful review, Lesa. This sounds like a hoot. Thanks.

Lesa said...

These books are fun, le0pard13. Hope you get a chance to check one out!

Pat Browning said...

Never heard of this author, Lesa, but the book sounds like my cup of tea. And I love the idea of an Idaho setting. Am looking for the book. Many thanks.

Pat Browning

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Pat. I like all of the books in the Sheriff Bo Tully serie. The second one was probably the weakest, but this one was really fun.