Friday, July 31, 2009

August Coming Attractions

August looks busy, so, along with book reviews and contests, I thought I'd give you a preview of events here on Lesa's Book Critiques. Our Foothills Library in Glendale, AZ will host J.A. Jance on Saturday, Aug. 1 at 3 PM. Look for the summary on Sunday Salon, the next day. Jance is on tour for Fire and Ice, a crime novel that brings together her characters, J.P. Beaumont and Joanna Brady.

On Saturday, August 15 at 2 PM, Authors @ The Teague will host three authors, Ann Parker, Juliet Blackwell, and Sophie Littlefield. The panel of three mystery authors will talk about writing strong heroines in crime fiction. Ann Parker will talk about her Silver Rush series, including Leaden Skies, the new release.
















Juliet Blackwell debuts a new series with Secondhand Spirits. You might know Juliet for the mysteries she wrote as Hailey Lind.








A Bad Day for Sorry is Sophie Littlefield's debut mystery.
It should be a fun afternoon! If you can't join us, my summary will be on the blog for Sunday Salon on Aug. 16th.








Tuesday, Aug. 18 marks the national launch for Brent Ghelfi's new Volk crime novel, The Venona Cable. I'm attending the book launch party at the Arizona Biltmore, 2400 E. Missouri in Phoenix. It kicks off at 7:30 PM. You're all welcome! If you can't make it, I'll have pictures and coverage later that week.



Then, there will be some guest visitors on the blog. Tim Hallinan, author of
Breathing Water: A Bangkok Thriller, will be guest blogger on Monday, Aug. 24. On Wed., Aug. 26, I have an interview with Sandra Dallas, author of Prayers for Sale. And, the next day, Aug. 27, brings a fun interview with Hank Phillippi Ryan and her investigative reporter character, Charlotte "Charlie" McNally, as they discuss their careers, and Charlie's latest adventures in Air Time.

August looks fun, and that doesn't even include the book reviews, contests, Treasures in My Closet, and other blogs. I hope you stop by and visit!

6 comments:

Jen said...

Sounds like you're going to have a fun August, Lesa! I adore Tim's Poke Rafferty series. He's making a live trip to Ohio in September and I'm so anxious to see him.

And Sophie Littlefield is absolutely wonderful. My BAD DAY FOR SORRY just showed up in the mail today. What a grand Friday to end with that special treat! The biggest treat will be when I meet her in Indy in October, though.

Enjoy all the fun!! I'll be checking back for your recaps.

Lesa said...

Thanks, Jen! Don't you love all the authors and their books? I have such a great time! (And, I love your comment that Tim is making a "live trip" to Ohio. - smile)

Jen said...

I've said this before, but it's always worth repeating: the crime fiction world is full of the nicest folks. Of course there will always be a few bad apples, but on the whole they're just wonderful people who happen to also be incredibly creative and talented!

Lesa said...

I totally agree with you. I've only been disapponted when meeting a couple of them. But, that's just part of being human. Even crime fiction authors are human!

A Bad Day for Sorry said...

A Bad Day for Sorry is another of the year’s best debuts, a standout mystery distinguished by its charming protagonist and her compelling voice. We don’t get many characters like Stella in mystery fiction, but we should. She’s fresh and sassy and an awful lot of fun to read about.”--David J. Montgomery, Chicago Sun-Times.

Lesa said...

That's a great quote. The book was an outstanding debut.